Two questions about lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First, why aren't Li-ion batteries ever used in scuba lights?

Second, I've read a good argument against using a lanyard to attach a light to your wrist (assuming a hand-held light, not canister.) Would it make sense then to use some cave line to attach the light to the right hip (maybe put a D-ring there?) put a bolt snap to clip it off to the shoulder D-ring?

Dont know 'bout the batteries but my personal preference is to have any item attatched to me done so by a bolt snap. even if I take a point and shoot camera, the lanyard comes off and a bolt snap goes on. Both backup lights are on a bolt snap then secured with rubber tubing so they dont dangle. All my guages are secured with bolt snaps. Basically, it makes perfect sense to secure your light in that manner

jonnythan once bubbled...
First, why aren't Li-ion batteries ever used in scuba lights?

Second, I've read a good argument against using a lanyard to attach a light to your wrist (assuming a hand-held light, not canister.) Would it make sense then to use some cave line to attach the light to the right hip (maybe put a D-ring there?) put a bolt snap to clip it off to the shoulder D-ring?

I also don't know about the batteries.

If I'm reading your question correctly, it sounds like you propose running the light from chest D-ring to hip D-ring. Wouldn't this interfere with hose routing and arm movement?

However, my backup lights are secured by bolt snaps tied with cave line to the end of the light. The bolt snaps attach to the left and right chest D-rings, respectively, while the light heads are secured with inner tube material to the shoulder straps as they run under my arms. I like this arrangement.

After rereading my post, I'm not sure if I was being entirely clear.

The idea I had was to put about 3 feet of cave line between a D-ring on my right hip and my primary hand-held light, then put another bolt snap on the light itself to stow it away when not in use.

I'm trying to think of a good way to do without the wrist lanyard (to make passing from hand to hand problem-free), but still have the light attached to me. It just seemed kinda logical to replace the wiring of a canister light with some nylon rope.

Having the light clipped to my shoulder D-ring seems kinda problematic, too.. while diving it would hang dow and definitely be in the way.

So, barring buying a canister light, does anyone have any suggestions?

Having the light clipped to my shoulder D-ring seems kinda problematic, too.. while diving it would hang dow and definitely be in the way.

You tie a bolt snap on to the butt end of the light and attach the bolt snap to the shoulder d-ring. The head of the light points down, and you thread a bit of inner tube around the shoulder harness (like a wide rubber band) to hold the head of the light in place, snug against your chest.

Using this method, you can reach down, turn your light on and just tug on it and it will pull free from the inner tube. This keeps it still bolt snapped to your d-ring, that way you can have your light on before undoing the snap and reduce the chance of losing it if you accidently drop it.

I often just turn mine on, tug it out of the innertube, then shine it where I want without ever unsnapping it. When I'm done, I just turn it back off and tuck it in place.

This system works great.

I would be concerned about a 3 foot lanyard. It sounds like an entanglement hazard, particularly after deployment. If you're not careful, you'll end up dragging the lanyard.

You may also find that the lanyard interferes with air sharing. In particular, depending on your primary hose routing, the lanyard could become entangled in the primary when you donate. This is especially likely if you carry the light in your left hand (similar problems can arise with can light cords).

If your primary is a traditionally shaped flashlight, or something close (as opposed to a lantern such as a Light Cannon), I'd try routing it in the same manner as the backups I described above.

I do not detach my backups from the chest D-Ring when they are deployed. Accordingly, there is no need for a lanyard.

While it can break up my streamling slightly because my hands are out of position, I do not find that keeping the lights attached does presents any major issues. I can still see my gauges and can control my buoyancy. If I let go of the light momentarily, it hangs in place. When I'm done, I resecure it using the inner tubes.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

You tie a bolt snap on to the butt end of the light and attach the bolt snap to the shoulder d-ring. The head of the light points down, and you thread a bit of inner tube around the shoulder harness (like a wide rubber band) to hold the head of the light in place, snug against your chest.

Using this method, you can reach down, turn your light on and just tug on it and it will pull free from the inner tube. This keeps it still bolt snapped to your d-ring, that way you can have your light on before undoing the snap and reduce the chance of losing it if you accidently drop it.

I often just turn mine on, tug it out of the innertube, then shine it where I want without ever unsnapping it. When I'm done, I just turn it back off and tuck it in place.

This system works great.

This is how my backup is stowed. I'm talking about a primary light (specifically, a UK C8.. one of those gun/lantern style lights).

I would be concerned about a 3 foot lanyard. It sounds like an entanglement hazard, particularly after deployment.

What's the difference between the long lanyard and the cable on a canister light?

I *have* a backup light stowed correctly (bolt snap to shoulder d-ring, head held down by innertube).

I need to figure out how to attach http://www.deepsix.com/easycart/images/Lights/C8Light.jpg to my harness. Previously I just had the short lanyard around my wrist, but that will be a problem, especially since my SPG is now clipped off to my left side. It will be used continuously during many dives, so I don't want it stowed like a backup, but it needs to be attached to my harness but still passable from hand to hand.

What's the difference between the long lanyard and the cable on a canister light?

Routing and the type of material.

I route my cable under my primary hose and down my left arm. When I'm done, I stow it back in my waist strap.

The cord is relatively stiff. It doesn't drift in the current and stays flush against my chest and thigh when stowed.

Cave line, on he other hand, would tend to drift. It may be more difficult to stow and would tend to wrap around object and gear.

I appreciate your difficulty. Prior to purchasing a can light, I never did find a satisfactory way to stow my Light Cannon.

In the end, I bolt snapped it to my scooter ring and stuffed the lantern handle into the waist strap. This was not satisfactory, but it did stay out of my way.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I appreciate your difficulty. Prior to purchasing a can light, I never did find a satisfactory way to stow my Light Cannon.

In the end, I bolt snapped it to my scooter ring and stuffed the lantern handle into the waist strap. This was not satisfactory, but it did stay out of my way.

That's a pretty good idea. I'm sure I'm not going to be using the scooter ring for anything else anytime soon..

You're quite welcome.

If you're thinking of going that route, and if is an option on your light, you might find it easier to do what I described with a lantern, as opposed to a pistol, grip. My Light Cannon had both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom