MB-SUB VB50 Cave review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goldigger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The long awaited MB-SUB VB-50 head arrived at my door yesterday. Michael posted it on Monday and it arrived on the following wednesday.. thats pretty quick from Germany.
The VB50 Cave comes with the 12.6v 9.6ah battery pack.
The heads on the MB-SUB Cave light are interchangable.
VB-50 Head
The VB-50 Head uses a Luminus SST-50 LED rated at 1250 lumens max. This is paired up with an aspheric lens. The Head is also focusable from 8 to 36 degrees by turning the outside ring.
The outside ring turns continuously in either direction and will adjust the focus continuously turned in either direction.
The VB-50 has two power settings 35% and 100%, 35% gives you 15 hours burn time and 100% 6 hours burn time.
The switch is a rotating coller that is removable, this clips round the body of the light head. The rotating coller contains a small magnet that activates 2 reed switches sealed inside the light head. The rotating coller has 3 positions, off, 35% and 100%.
Because of this switch design water cannot penetrate the light head via the switch.
Photon Head
I also have the Photon head which uses a Osram Ostar 6 die LED, rated at 1000 lumens max. This is paired up with a reflector which the manufactures claim is 8 degrees.
The Photon is non focusable. It also has two power settings, 50% and 100%.
50% gives you 9 hours burn time, 100% gives you 6 hours burn time.
The switch is the same on the photon as the VB50. Except if you have the head clipped in the Goldman handle you simply rotate the head in the handle.
Anyway enough of the technical babble, pictures speak louder than words so here are various shots.

To show how big each head is:
VB50 held by the goodman handle
VB50OnHand.JPG

Photon held by the goodman handle
PhotonOnHand.JPG

Beamshots

All camera shots taken using the same settings
Photon at 1 Meter
Photon1M.JPG

VB50 at 1 Meter
VB501M.JPG

Photon at 2 Meters
Photon2M.JPG

VB50 at 2 Meters
VB502M.JPG

Photon at 3 Meters
Photon3M.JPG

VB-50 at 3 Meters
VB503M.JPG

Photon at 4 Meters
Photon4M.JPG

VB-50 at 4 Meters
VB504M.JPG

Heres some aerial shots of the heads underwater..

I've just nipped down the canal.. after all people want to see how the VB-50 will look like in poor viz..
Photon
PhotonViz1.JPG

PhotonViz2.JPG

VB-50
VB50Viz1.JPG

VB50Viz2.JPG

Here's a video i took showing an example of the varible focus at roughly 3meters to the wall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzidSq488Ks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom