Terkel 4.5 amp HID Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COVCI

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Over the past two months I have received a number of request for information about the Solly light by Terkel Dive Equipment, so I called Terkel last week and ordered a Solly light.

We talked for a while about the manufacturing process and the materials used. Instead of Delrin, the canister is Adiprene. This stuff is TOUGH. We also discussed some of the issues that are inherent with HID bulbs. The need to make sure the light "heats" to the proper temp for the correct time, (read as turn on, leave on for at least 3 minutes before shutting down, wait for over 1 minute before restriking). HID bulbs handled any other way will create "gas" issues with the bulb and in turn cause intermittent striking issues.

Terkel told me that the lights are all tested before shipment and have been pressurized to 320 fsw. The bulb has an expected life of 1000 strikes and the battery pack has a life expectance of 500-600 charging cycles.

So I ordered the light, gave him the CC number and waited for it to arrive.

It got here Thursday and I was pleasently surprised to have such a nice manual with the light. 24 pages of information about the specs, care, maintenance, and use of the light.

I immediately read the manual, filled the kitchen sink with water and began the burn down of the battery pack for a complete charge. It took about 1.5 hours for the burn to drain the pack.

I then charged the battery pack for the recommended 8 hours with the included trickle charger.

Today's dive took the light to 71 ffw. Water temp at depth was 42 F. The light worked as promised with a nice focused beam. I focused the light before descent as recommended in the manual.

I am really impressed with the light and plan one more dive in Lake Huron before the end of the month before I put them on the webpage for sale. Stay tuned.

Chris

I've been interested in that light for awhile now. Looks very rugged and well thought out. What kind of a handle does the light head come with?

Don't forget to give us the "real lowdown" after a good testing.

thanks

I believe the handle is adiprene also and it clips nicely to the light head. It allows the light head to rotate freely so the wire doesn't become twisted. The width is not adjustable so you may have to order the larger one if you have large hands.

Jeblis once bubbled...
I believe the handle is adiprene also and it clips nicely to the light head. It allows the light head to rotate freely so the wire doesn't become twisted. The width is not adjustable so you may have to order the larger one if you have large hands.
Thanks for the response!:)

COVCI once bubbled...
Over the past two months I have received a number of request for information about the Solly light by Terkel Dive Equipment, so I called Terkel last week and ordered a Solly light.

We talked for a while about the manufacturing process and the materials used. Instead of Delrin, the canister is Adiprene. This stuff is TOUGH. We also discussed some of the issues that are inherent with HID bulbs. The need to make sure the light "heats" to the proper temp for the correct time, (read as turn on, leave on for at least 3 minutes before shutting down, wait for over 1 minute before restriking). HID bulbs handled any other way will create "gas" issues with the bulb and in turn cause intermittent striking issues.

Terkel told me that the lights are all tested before shipment and have been pressurized to 320 fsw. The bulb has an expected life of 1000 strikes and the battery pack has a life expectance of 500-600 charging cycles.

So I ordered the light, gave him the CC number and waited for it to arrive.

It got here Thursday and I was pleasently surprised to have such a nice manual with the light. 24 pages of information about the specs, care, maintenance, and use of the light.

I immediately read the manual, filled the kitchen sink with water and began the burn down of the battery pack for a complete charge. It took about 1.5 hours for the burn to drain the pack.

I then charged the battery pack for the recommended 8 hours with the included trickle charger.

Today's dive took the light to 71 ffw. Water temp at depth was 42 F. The light worked as promised with a nice focused beam. I focused the light before descent as recommended in the manual.

I am really impressed with the light and plan one more dive in Lake Huron before the end of the month before I put them on the webpage for sale. Stay tuned.

Chris

Hardly a review when you're selling them??

Not selling them yet...but...if the light continues to perform as it has recently then I will be.

I only sell what I dive. If I can't say I use it, I won't sell it to another diver.

Thanks for your input.

Chris

I have had a Solly light since July and have had it to 150 feet on nine different occasions and it has worked just flawlessly had one problem on the last dive I dropped the light head I thought for sure that it was broken.....Nope just jared the bulb loose re set it and it still works just fin...... I have had OMS and Sartek lights and of the three that I have used I really like the solly's the best.......and trekel has been just super to deal with........ and no I don't work for or sell them. he puts out a great product and is a real nice person also Try getting that at OMS.
Rob

Well, I finally had a chance to get my Terkel light wet while diving in SoCal. What a treat! The light performed flawlessly. Everybody was checking my light out on the boat. The new goodman handle was the selling point too. I got the light from Chris at Tech-Blue. Both Chris and Terkel were super cool and easy to deal with - finally some great people in the industry that you can actually work with!

Anyway, also had a chance to meet Terkel in person at Beneath The Sea yesterday and picked up his new spring straps! those things look really good too! I like the fact that the springs are softer than most others on the market. Also the cave line inside a spring is a bonus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom