Light Motion - Sola Dive 1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIdiverMike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saw this rechargeable beauty at Boston Sea Rovers last weekend. Goes from 1200 lumen flood to 500 lumen spot courtesy of a slide switch. Small and light with wrist strap and no cannister. Also recharges without taking anything off or apart in 2.5 hours. $680 list. Also a red light version to use for photography on a strobe. Only obvious downside I saw was the 70 min burn time on full 1200 lumen, though 270 mins on 500 lumen spot. Anybody have experience with these?

uwimaging.com

My wife has been using a sola 600 as a focus light for the last year. It is very bright and very pure light. I can only imagine how bright the 1200 is.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Sola Dive 1200 just last week. A guy I know who likes to shoot video on tec wreck dives bought it to fit onto his video camera, and told me he thought the price tag was worth it because the light was very dual-purpose (he could use it as a camera light and a primary).

Basically, it puts out a ton of light for such a small piece of gear, and with no canister-light cables to boot.

Cool, thx for the feedback! I'd love to use it as a primary since I'm considering the canister-light cables route and am not excited by the weight, cable and complication. But I wondered whether 1200 lumens would seem sufficient in the New England Atlantic. My buddy's LightMonkey 35W puts out 3000. Tempting though! Thx again.

That is the big thing about the Sola 1200 - I honestly don't think there is a dive light out there that puts out so much light in so compact a package. Some lanterns and canister lights have a much bigger power output, but they are also bigger and clunkier. The Sola is just such a magnificent balance of size and capability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom