Good light for deep dive - advanced open water cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sixt3denied

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be going for my Advanced Open Water cert shortly. I am doing my deep dive & wreck dive together. I don't think we will be penetrating the wreck. This is a daylight dive. I believe the depth is around 85 feet. I am wondering what kind of light I should get. I don't want to break the bank. Not even sure how "light or dark" it is at around 85 feet during the day. Don't want to break the bank either. Any suggestions on a light for a daytime dive at around 85 feet?

Below is a good light for the money and they are pretty darn bright. Plus when you are ready for the wreck penetration class it will make an excellent back up light. Put a stainless bolt snap on the back of the light and you can clip it off when not in use. Also get the goodman handle to give you hands free lighting, which will let you swim better with your hands.

Penetrater 220, Piranha Dive Manufacturing

I just went though a big search on a similar subject. I went with the Tova Nova at the bottom of the page, Diving Backup Lights - Dive Gear Express and it is on sale. For me I wanted a light that either ran on AA or CR123 as I keep them around for other gear I have. Most lights I see took AAA or C and didnt want to have to remember to buy yet another style.

I have not had this light in the water yet (just got them a day ago) but on land they look good with fairly tight spots and just enough flood.

Yes. He was.

However, using a light sock/soft Goodman handle with a Dorcy is a very good idea. It frees your hand to do nice little things like control your buoyancy, equalize, clear your mask, signal your dive buddy, take pictures, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok my favorite small flashlight/torch can be found here Tektite - LED Flashlights, LED Replacement Bulbs, Dive Lights, IR, Strobes, Marker Lights, UV, CSI, LZ kits, & Tekna Knives and lites

if you have trouble with the link it is the trek 2. I have 3 of them and am going back to the states and hope to pick up another 4. The supplier here in the Philippines has stopped stocking them(I think because they are so reliable)... One note of caution none of my rechargables fit in them but the battery life is 20 plus dives so dont really need the rechargeables....

One note of caution on your advanced course... I hope you mean that you are doing two dives on the same day one for deep and one for wreck, cause as instructors we are not allowed to give you credit for two dives like that under those circumstances,, what I mean is your advanced course must consist of 5 discrete dives.. so if combine wreck and deep experience you still need to make 4 more dives..... I only mention this in case you did not know..

Cheers,
Roger

Ok my favorite small flashlight/torch can be found here Tektite - LED Flashlights, LED Replacement Bulbs, Dive Lights, IR, Strobes, Marker Lights, UV, CSI, LZ kits, & Tekna Knives and lites

One note of caution on your advanced course... I hope you mean that you are doing two dives on the same day one for deep and one for wreck, cause as instructors we are not allowed to give you credit for two dives like that under those circumstances,, what I mean is your advanced course must consist of 5 discrete dives.. so if combine wreck and deep experience you still need to make 4 more dives..... I only mention this in case you did not know..

Cheers,
Roger

Sounds like a way to get an extra dive with an instructor for the price of AOW :)

If they are combining the two it's a way for the instructor to get out of two distinct dives. They should be separate and have separate knowledge and skill sets to them. Combining dives in a training situation where two areas of study or skills are involved takes away from both of them. And a thorough course where the possibility of lights are required would and does have me going over them in the classroom. From simple ones to can lights and recommendations for students based on their needs and means are covered. There should also be the idea that if you are doing deep dives, wreck dives, and night/low vis dives and need to take a light you should also have a back up. I require students in aow to have two. But if they do not have a second I will supply it. The two dorcy light deal from pirahna dive is ideal. I have five of them. They are the ones I loan to students because they are bright, rugged, and very dependable. If I were going to take another class and needed two lights that's the ones I would go with if I were just starting out.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom