Trustfire TR-J1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
This is also cross-posted on CPF.

CONSTRUCTION:

First impressions: Seemed relatively well built - nice and solid. On removing the head, there were one or two swarfs, but otherwise it looked great. The fins on the head are not overly-done as seen on some other dive-lights out there. The removable stainless steel attack crown was the first to come off. Granted, it looks like it could do some serious damage if ever used for its intended purpose. Maybe I'll keep it on if diving in shark infested water :wink: :

Screenshot2012-05-04at55710AM.jpg

Tail cap comes with a generous hole which allows you to use different thicknesses of line for tying in a bolt snap. Being cheap, I opted to use the existing cord, and not use up my cave-line. Without a lanyard, the light can stand on its end:

rearcap.jpg

The light has 4 modes: off-flash-low-med-high. It has a bi-directional switch, so from the off position, you can go directly to the highest beam, or into flashing mode. Turning the switch is at best a two-handed affair, as there's an o-ring adding friction to prevent accidental switching. There are no detents, but after taking it apart, there's a groove with pits and a corresponding hole in the ring, so I guess you could put a bb and spring there to add the detents if you wish. Personally, since this will see salt-water use, I'd just leave it as is. Also visible is the small magnet used for switching. I may fix it in place with a bit of glue, as it might fall out and get lost when disassembling the light.

switchring.jpg

Speaking of o-rings, the tail-cap has 2 rings, while the other end has just one (the other ring is just for friction for the switch). Seeing as this part isn't unscrewed as much, I guess it'll suffice, though I guess 2 would've been better, though there is an extra groove in it. I may just add one later on:

o-rings.jpg

Inside the front bezel are small indentations which I initially took to be the mating points for a tool to remove the ring. I used a watch-back tool, and what I thought was an internal ring is actually just part of a solid front ring which can be unscrewed from the outside.

frontring.jpg

The reflector is a smooth aluminum reflector. I've been so used to having reflectors that screw into the pill, but this one just rests on it. Also seen in the inside of the head is the ledge where the lens and gasket rest.

reflector.jpg

Given the dimensions of the light head, the lens (3mm x 30mm) seems adequate to do its job. The lens is surrounded by a rubber gasket which provides good sealing properties especially at greater depths due to the greater compression of the seal.

lens.jpg

The next photo is of the LED in situ. I didn't feel comfortable disassembling further than that, so that's where I left it at.

IMG_0792.jpg

TESTING:

One thing to remember is that this is a dive light. As such, many eBay ads claim it to be able to go up to 100 meters. On KD though, they give a more realistic 30m figure. I decided to go half-way and test to the same depth rating for my GoPro cameras. Put it into my pot along with my watch/depth-gauge and brought it down to around 65 meters for about 15 minutes. No leaks

Screenshot2012-05-04at62151AM.jpg

Since this was to be my back-up light, I decided to test it against my current back-up: a Ferei W150 XPG light. The Ferei is slightly more solid and heavier (~220 g vs the ~180g for the TR-J1). In hand, the slightly thicker tube of the Ferei and the knurling on the tube makes it easier to hold I guess, but I like the TR-J1 for its sleek outline - though knurling would have been a nice touch.

IMG_0805.jpg

Anyway, in terms of light output, here's a few comparative shots of the TR-J1 vs the Ferei which is rated at 200 lumens. 24mm lens, 5.6 aperture, 1/30 shutter speed, ISO 400 (I didn't have a tripod so I didn't want a slower speed). Wall is around 8 meters away. Upper row: High, medium, low. Lower row: Ferei W150, W150 vs TR-J1, control shot.

beamshots.jpg

Bottom line: Looks like I've got a new favorite back-up light! Since I opted for just the light, I got it for around $33. At that rate, you can't go wrong! Methinks a 2nd one is in order...

Last edited:
What an awesome review! How did you aquire the light? Was it from an eBay seller? I don't normally order internationally but now I'm very, very tempted.

Yes, I did get it from eBay - but one thing you'll have to realize is that I'm from Manila, in the Philippines. However, mail service TO the Philippines is usually slow (I usually allot a month for shipping time), but I still got my light in just about a week and a half, so YMMV. One of the very 1st reviews for the TR-J1 that I'd seen was actually from someone in the US (Florida, I think - CPF is still down :( ). Maybe I'll put another order in just to see if it was a fluke :wink:

Edit: Order placed! Though I made a mistake in the price I listed above: It was $34.99, and not $33. Oh well.

Last edited:
Yes, I did get it from eBay - but one thing you'll have to realize is that I'm from Manila, in the Philippines. However, mail service TO the Philippines is usually slow (I usually allot a month for shipping time), but I still got my light in just about a week and a half, so YMMV. One of the very 1st reviews for the TR-J1 that I'd seen was actually from someone in the US (Florida, I think - CPF is still down :( ). Maybe I'll put another order in just to see if it was a fluke :wink:

Edit: Order placed! Though I made a mistake in the price I listed above: It was $34.99, and not $33. Oh well.

I'm curious how you fashioned your underwater pressure tester? It looks interesting.

Ok, I might be wasting $45 on eBay but I just ordered one with the LiOn batteries and recharger. Let's see how it comes out.

I'm curious how you fashioned your underwater pressure tester? It looks interesting.

The thread I documented my search fora pot is here: DIY Pressure Pot Alternatives. Very useful for testing small lights, and since I use a small GoPro camera, I test it in there as well when making changes.

Being made of clear plastic, it makes it easier to check the object being tested. One great and fun use for it was outlined in this thread: Compression of fruit at depth.

Ok, I might be wasting $45 on eBay but I just ordered one with the LiOn batteries and recharger. Let's see how it comes out.

Chrpai, I would really like to hear your opinions of the light when you get yours :D

Last edited:
I just ordered the TR-J1 light, but am confused on the batteries. Does this thing take AAs ? or do I need to get back on ebay and order some batteries?

Thanks

No, it takes 18650 Lithium Ion rechargable batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom