Niterider lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased a Niterider blackwater 3000 used off of eBay and have since used it for 10 dives so far. I love it!

For those not familiar with the design, check out their website, www.niteriderdive.com

When I dove with Corsair, Zagnut, and Tom Vyles in Lake Travis last month, I used the BW3000 while they used their UKC6 lites.

At the lowest wattage setting (12watts) the BW3000 threw a whiter brighter light. When both lights were on, one buddy commented he kept looking around for the freight train.

About the only thing this light falls short on is that the light cord is a bit short for my taste (limits the mounting positions) and you cannot upgrade to a HID head. But the charge lasts for a long time, and I really like the ability to switch between wattage outputs on the fly.

The BW3000 will work for me as I learn about the beginnings of tech diving. But I do have plans on upgrading to a Dive-Rite HID eventaully.

See, i want this to mount on my aga. That pic just looks so darn cool at their website.

They look like excellent lights but the price is quite up there. How do you feel about the quality of it? With the 3000, do you vary the wattage at the battery or on the light head itself? The 3000 and 5000 do interest me. I have a uk light cannon 100 as my main light so together i think it would be a good team. Their HIDs interest me as well but i think they're too much for 10 watters.

You'll love the dive rite. I dove with one (the 10watt) and it was just sweet. Slightly better and cleaner beam than the UK.

steve

I picked up mine used on eBay for $250 plus shipping. So keep a weather eye out (or doesn't eBay do this for you now?) for them since they do appear every-so-often.

The wattage selection is done on the light head. The way it works is that there are two different wattage bulbs in the head, one 12 watts, the other 20 watts. You can throw a switch that will turn on either of these by themselves, or both at the same time. And as expected, burn time on the battery depends on which you bulb you select.

My experience with the 12-watt bulb is that it threw a better light than my UK Sunlight D8. And since the heavy battery is removed from your hand, the BW3000 is much easier to handle.

The light head can be mounted in variuos places, including a Goodman handle, and on your head (I got a neoprene "headband" with my eBay purchase that would allow me to look like the CrocHunter).

I don't have the Niterider for scuba but I own their top end bike lights. forI use them for my late night(which is 4:30pm in here in Mpls. in the winter) moutain biking and they are the very impressive.
I would recommend the Nickel metal hydride battery(if they have that in the scuba lights) and a charger that is plug in and forget.

Hi Wetman

I have one and I'm really happy with it. It leaves both of my hands free for night photography and puts out plenty of light. The battery pack mounts to my tank cinch strap so I don't even notice it. The only complaint about the system is that I have to be careful not to look directly at my dive buddy. It blinds him or her.

Thanks, Ken:boom:

How much "juice" were you looking for? The times that I have used my BW3000, I have gotten in about 3-1/2 hours of diving in before recharging it. This was achieved by keeping it on the lowest setting for much of the dive and occasionally turning it off all together during descent and when in areas of sufficent light.

Originally posted by luvdiving
It leaves both of my hands free for night photography and puts out plenty of light. The only complaint about the system is that I have to be careful not to look directly at my dive buddy. It blinds him or her.
That's one of the many advantages of an EE or AUL system with a Goodman handle. It allows you to use the light for signaling, leaves both hands free and it doesn't say, "I hate you" when you look at your buddy. :)

Roak

All u guys talk about is the BlackWater. How about the SwiftWater. The SW800 has a 15 watt bulb combined with LED's. Is this good stuff?

P.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom