Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldschool

Thread: Sola 500, 800, or 1200?

Extreme Non-poster
    Badge

has stolen your status.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos

Sola 500, 800, or 1200?

Which of these would be best for diving off of NJ? I don't want to spend the $700 on the 1200 if it's going to be overkill.
    I currently use the UK Light Cannon, which is just right for the low vis that I sometimes deal with. I'm just tired of the pistol grip.
    Anyone know if the 500 is brighter than the Light Cannon?
    Thanks
    “You can only be young once but you can be immature forever.”
    Dave Barry
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure they're genuine"
    Abraham Lincon
    East Coast Diving boat schedule!
    Atlantus charters

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    At the risk of being accused of hijacking this thread, I would also like an opinion on whether the Sola 500 (or 800) is "enough".

I originally looked at the Sola 1200 thinking it would serve multifunctions as a photo and video light but now I am just wondering if I can really justify the extra expense if the Sola 500 is all I need for a primary.

Do must people who have the Sola 800 or 1200 find that they use it at the 500 spot setting?

Or do people find that they actually use the flood setting at it's highest setting?

DIR Practitioner

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    For primary light in low viz water, I don't think any of the solar is a good choice. Their beams are very wide. At night, it will produce backscatter, distract your night vision. Even Lumen value may be high, it lack of hot spot intensity. In day time it will be ineffective. For that kind of money, you are looking at a canister light like the Hollis LED15, which should be a much better light for low viz primary. I would even say Hollis LED5 or DRIS1000 handheld lights are better for low viz due to their higher intensity hotspot and narrower beam.

Solars are good video light and good focus light tho. And they can be a good light for good viz water at night.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
    For primary light in low viz water, I don't think any of the solar is a good choice. Their beams are very wide. At night, it will produce backscatter, distract your night vision. Even Lumen value may be high, it lack of hot spot intensity. In day time it will be ineffective. For that kind of money, you are looking at a canister light like the Hollis LED15, which should be a much better light for low viz primary. I would even say Hollis LED5 or DRIS1000 handheld lights are better for low viz due to their higher intensity hotspot and narrower beam.

Solars are good video light and good focus light tho. And they can be a good light for good viz water at night.
    I have to disagree. Yesterday, i had the opportunity to try out the Sola 1200 in Lake Travis. Where I was diving was 64 ft deep with viz of 20 ft +. Above 45 ft, the vis diminished significantly to 8 ft or so. I was able to test it in both good and not so good viz. I was very impressed. In the spot mode, it provided a tight beam which penetrated quite well. At 64 ft, I switched it to the flood mode just to get an idea of the area it would cover. It easily filled a 15 ft circle with light. Of course, the spot was better for where I was diving but I can see that the flood would be great in clearer water, ie Cozumel, Bonaire, etc.
    Tanked likes this.

Divemaster
    Badge

wishes he was diving right now

Dives
    500 - 999
    I have both some Sola 1200s and a light from Watershot.
    Both were comparable on price $600

I greatly prefer the watershot as I can easily get 2 dives out of it where the battery on the sola last 1 dive (or less)

I use the Watershot as a dive light and I use my 2 sola 1200s on my video camera if I happen to be filming.

Dark cold waters of the Pacific NW .. Can never have too bright a light.
    Jeff V
    NWDivers.me
    -- My diving blog site.
    My local dive shop - Thunder Reef Divers

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    FlyinV: I assume you are using your Sola 1200s at full power if they last less than one dive. I use mine at the lowest power setting and can get three dives out of the good one (one of my Sola 1200s has had problems). I only switch it to medium or full power if a subject needs it.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Divemaster
    Badge

wishes he was diving right now

Dives
    500 - 999
    Yes that would be full power as the water here is really dark most of the time and its long diving 80 minutes or so.
    One of them is also first generation/production run so it might not get the same runtime as the latest version.
    Jeff V
    NWDivers.me
    -- My diving blog site.
    My local dive shop - Thunder Reef Divers