why buy 250 lumen light if 900-1000 lumens is available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaml

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
so, we are looking to buy lights again - after perusing what's available, i have the following observation/question:
if the objective is to be able to see (in holes or at night) and more lumens means more brightness, then why would anyone buy a light with 250 lumens when so many lights with 900 -1000 lumnes are available?
am i missing something? yes the higher lumen lights are a bit more expensive but in the grand scheme of equipment costs lights are a minor player (not talking about high priced cannister lights - merely the small handheld lights that are easily clipped on or stored in a pouch);

having said that - what are your opinions on the sporasub 900 or the doris 1000 (not sure i have the name correct)? or do you have any personal recs on small handheld superbright lights?
thanks

More is not necessarily better, it all depends on what you are going to use it for.

I used to use a light that claimed 900 lumens and had low/medium/high settings. In clear tropical waters on a night dive I used to dive it on the low setting and with two fingers covering the output. Too much light interferes with night behaviors of wildlife, and scares them away into hiding. I now use a 125 lumens light or a 220 lumens light for that type of diving. I use a big whopper 2600 lumens light though for cavern diving, caves can have dark (and low light reflecting) walls.

Last edited:
yep, what "AT" said.... in clear open water, sometimes you need less light......

having said that - what are your opinions on the sporasub 900 or the doris 1000 (not sure i have the name correct)? or do you have any personal recs on small handheld superbright lights?
thanks
I think you're talking about the "dris 1000" from "dive right in scuba". It's a shop that lists stuff on this site. I bought one a few weeks ago and love it. It's my first real dive light, but I've borrowed a number of others. It's all black aluminum, and a little heavy due to the 3 C batteries it uses. It's very bright, but several people including the seller say it's slightly less than 1000 lumen in reality. Anyway, if you think a bright light such as this is what you want then I think it's not a bad choice. At the price they sell it I'm sure it's made in China if that matters to you. I just ordered a second because it's MUCH cheaper than lights with similar output. I haven't run a set of batteries completely out yet, but generic store brand C batts have gone 2 hours with me on a dive, and 90 minutes in the pool.

I like that it takes standard C batteries, that way I can use disposables or rechargeable if I want rather than being stuck with a special rechargeable only battery.

One of the lights I borrowed was a Lights & Motion Sola 1200. It's smaller than the DRIS 1k, and brighter. I liked it better overall than the DRIS. However, it's also $700 vs <$100 for the dris. I already told you what I bought :)

I actually ordered a second one so I'd have a backup - it hasn't come in just yet though.

This is a light that I have come to really like, Diving Diver Scuba CREE XM L T6 LED 18650 Flashlight | eBay

Just small enough to fit in my BC pocket, variable output and great quality. The drawbacks are that it has a narrow beam and the burn time is just over a hour at maximum output.

By the time you buy the batteries and charger, you are still less than $75. Tough to beat at that price.

This is a light that I have come to really like, Diving Diver Scuba CREE XM L T6 LED 18650 Flashlight | eBay

Just small enough to fit in my BC pocket, variable output and great quality. The drawbacks are that it has a narrow beam and the burn time is just over a hour at maximum output.

By the time you buy the batteries and charger, you are still less than $75. Tough to beat at that price.

How long have you had it? I don't want to derail the OP's thread, but just in case this is my experience...this is VERY similar to the magic shine, or novae, or a series or other names they are sold under. They are the ones I mention on my above post as "I used to use". While others are happy with theirs, my wife and I had one each and they lasted about a year of trouble free operation, then all of a sudden they kill new batteries. Now, new batteries and freshly charged are apparently somehow ruined by the light not to accept a charge and to not operate the light again.

More is not necessarily better, it all depends on what you are going to use it for.

I used to use a light that claimed 900 lumens and had low/medium/high settings. In clear tropical waters on a night dive I used to dive it on the low setting and with two fingers covering the output. Too much light interferes with night behaviors of wildlife, and scares them away into hiding. I now use a 125 lumens light or a 220 lumens light for that type of diving. I use a big whopper 2600 lumens light though for cavern diving, caves can have dark (and low light reflecting) walls.
Ditto and 'burn time' plays a factor when deciding which light will work best for you......

I buy the highest lum light I can afford in general and within reason even if higher than required since the batteries would last a lot longer when used in lower power setting.

How long have you had it? I don't want to derail the OP's thread, but just in case this is my experience...this is VERY similar to the magic shine, or novae, or a series or other names they are sold under. They are the ones I mention on my above post as "I used to use". While others are happy with theirs, my wife and I had one each and they lasted about a year of trouble free operation, then all of a sudden they kill new batteries. Now, new batteries and freshly charged are apparently somehow ruined by the light not to accept a charge and to not operate the light again.

Guess I got a good one. Mine has been trouble free for around 1 1/2 years. If things change I will be sure to let everyone know.

BTW, I completely agree that the burn time needs to get a lot better.

If you're right up, close, and personal with the invert life, a 1000lumen light will basically turn what you're looking at into a white hot stop.
A lower lumen light will allow all colors to shine without whiting everything out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom