Newbie Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok. I've been diving about a year and have been going through all the fun!? of trying to figure out what gear I need. I dive mostly in the PNW so a light is a must.

I got the Light Cannon and it puts out a great beam. But, its very heavy and completely dominates one hand. Too bad I didn't know about you guys before I purchased it.

So, any advice on a canister light would be appreciated. I really don't want to shell out $1000 for a light, but I do need a good one. One thing I'm learning is that you really don't want your hands full of stuff - tried it, it's not fun.

Dive Rite MLS canister with MR11 Head. Under $500. 10w and a great light. Use a goodman handle and your set. DR is not making these lights anymore but thy still have some. The slim line cannisters are quite a bit higher.

The new OMS 10w HID canister is very well priced and compact Great light and the terkel is also nice

Walter:
Why do you need a big light?

Even in the day things can get pretty dark - overcast and/or raining with light penetration through the green water not so good.

I've tried smaller lights (than the Light Cannon), but the light cannon is a big improvement when looking into crevasses, and just penetrating the underwater gloom (lit up a giant pacific octopus on her eggs - that was awesome). My problem is its weight and the fact I have to hold the thing.

Am I missing something? What size light should I be looking at?

It depends on your goal. Personally, I use mine for wrecks penetrations, caverns and night dives. I don't dive caves. My primary light is a UK Mini Q40 powered by 4 AA batteries. It serves my needs perfectly when I turn it on. Most of the time in those three situations, I leave it off. I'm not making movies, so I don't need to light the world. I let my eyes adjust to ambient light levels.

Its not a newbie mistake. A newbie mistake is when a new diver uses a regular walmart flashlight for a night dive. :) It happened to my instructors group.

ScubaSarus:
Its not a newbie mistake. A newbie mistake is when a new diver uses a regular walmart flashlight for a night dive. :) It happened to my instructors group.

Well, I guess the Light Cannon is a bit better than a Walmart light :)

I agree with 5615mike. The Dive Rite Canister light with the MR11 head works real well here in the PNW. If you buy it new, you will have the choice of a 6 degree or a 12 degree light beam.

I recently purchased this light with a 6 degree bulb, and it works great. The only problem I had with it was when I was preparing to put it away after my last dive (which was only the second dive I used it) and it slipped out of my fingers, down to the ground and the bulb broke. They are very fragile and they are very expensive to replace.

The light head comes with an elastic handle that slippes over your hand so the light head is on the back of your hand and it works very great there. Your hands are still free to do whatever you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom