chinese can lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poohbear1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone. Anybody has any experience with those cheap chinese can lights? Price seems too good to be true. Should stick to something like dgx.

Thanks

I've been researching these and specifically looking at the one that is sometimes Archos branded and run on 3x26650.
Sometimes they go by the brinyte name. Reviews seem mixed, but they go for around $100 us on alibaba so I may try one out. I think dris sells the same one for around 300.
Which one were you looking at?

You are really taking a leap of faith with the Chinese knock offs. You might get one that works great or you might not. I have a DRIS light that I got used from my buddy when he purchased 2 of the identical Chinese ones. They both failed on him. One of them on the first dive, the other on a deeper dive. His 3rd one works fine and goes deep without issue too.

I am guessing that they are made by the same places in China but without the quality control from the original customers and therefore the prices and quality are lower.

You are really taking a leap of faith with the Chinese knock offs. You might get one that works great or you might not. I have a DRIS light that I got used from my buddy when he purchased 2 of the identical Chinese ones. They both failed on him. One of them on the first dive, the other on a deeper dive. His 3rd one works fine and goes deep without issue too.

I am guessing that they are made by the same places in China but without the quality control from the original customers and therefore the prices and quality are lower.
Anecdotal evidence aside, I've had the opposite experience. I've got a couple of the "chinese knock offs" (by the way, they are made in the safe factory and made with the same parts) and they have performed admirably.

Slamming one version of the light, and defending another just because a different name is printed (and rest assured that is the difference) is absurd.

The Div10 looks pretty cool. That is the one I've been eying. It does come with a warranty, but you do have greater shipping concerns. If you order through ebay it'll be a little more hassle free with buyer protection, but you will pay more.

This is the one i've been eying: http://brinyte.en.alibaba.com/produ...rofessional_LED_Scuba_Diving_Torch_Light.html

The price spread is so great. They say they welcome trial orders, so maybe they would cut a deal on a couple lights.

the DIV-10 is the 3 LED module. I'd be interested in it, but the batteries seem like they wouldn't be enough. The single XM-L2 led is plenty bright (I've got a few lights with it), and a longer run time would be sweet.

<snip>

Slamming one version of the light, and defending another just because a different name is printed (and rest assured that is the difference) is absurd.

Please explain to my dumb arse why I am being absurd when my personal experience can back up my keyboard. I am not slamming any brand and at the same time not being a cheerleader for any brand either. I have not been to China and verified any of this and I really doubt that you have either. there is a reason that I previously stated this:

I am glad that you had good experiences with them and I am also glad that my buddy got his sorted out too. I will still stand beside my original impression that it can be a risk to purchase them, but then again, what is wrong with taking a chance now and then?

Sure I'd agree that there is risk in the unknown, and more hassle for returns. I'm hesitant to buy the canister just because of possible complications.

What I will say is I don't have fail rates for those ordering from DRIS vs from ebay or alibaba, and doubt you do either so it is completely conjecture to say the fail rates are higher. I'd take the conservative side.
I've torn down the DRIS 1k and securityling version and they are identical, including the o-rings (which are often insufficient on chinese lights).

I hope someday the major chinese manufacturers will have a better reputation and presence so they can take some of the ludicrously overpriced brands down a peg.
I've had about 12 different lights so far, and the quality can be varying but the lights that are identical models have been the same in my experience. Again, this is anecdotal, but I'd err on the side of not condemning a brand without facts to back it up.

Thanks for the clarification.

It seems we will have slightly different opinions based on our own individual experiences. I do tend to agree with you in regards to hoping the Chinese market will cause some better pricing. I was just having a discussion with a friend today about how it would suck to be in the light manufacturing business when the Chinese are about to take a big bite out of the market.

You guys should ask Bobby about his impression of the Chinese lights. Or read his tirades on CDF. I don't understand half of what comes out of his mouth when talking about lights, but he certainly does.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Do you have a link to that? I've read through a bunch of the first 10 pages of the gear sub forum, and don't think I ran across that. Or, what is his username?

Edit: oh UWL bobby, right?

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 09:08 PM ----------

I just put a price request for this one: SMALL-ORDER ZONE: New Arrival DIV09 Magnetically Controlled Switch CREE Scuba LED Diving Torch - HK Yeguang Co., Limited in Hong Kong (en)

Assuming the shipping isn't too high, I'd love to find some others to go in on me with it. It is listed for $58.50 when you buy 5 (which is the minimum order). The site seems to be running a $30 shipping rebate too, so that would cut some of the shipping cost. I'll post when I hear back.
I figure I could ship at cost to whomever wanted it, or leave them in cave country shops for the cavers.

EDIT: I also asked about this one http://xiwaretorch.en.alibaba.com/p...lumens_WH166_Canister_Diving_Video_Light.html It'll likely be at least 2-3 times the price though, which may be more than I and anyone else is willing to take on such a gamble. It looks like it would be damn bright though - enough to overpower just about any other light.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom