Good Back Up Light under $50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickym96

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a Good back up light to keep on my BC. I want it to use either AA or AAA batteries and not be longer than about 6 inches. I would like to pay less than $50 but still have a nice bright light. Does anybody own any good lights like this?

I've got a few of those lights, and they're pretty okay. I use them as a main light for caving sometimes, and with a decent 26650 can last a few hours of usable light.
They do have the pillbox design, so long-term the heat might be an issue. You will have to replace those o-rings too.

I also have a few of these: CREE XM L T6 LED Light Flashlight Lamp Torch 1600Lm for Diving Camping | eBay
which are pretty nice too. They are smaller, and an easy twist on-off operation. They include the aaa adapter typically. You may be able to find them for less.

With both lights, OTF lumen is closer to 800 than 1600. For reference, they are the same brightness as the DRIS 1K lights (I've got a couple of those I've compared to), and the "1000" lumen Dive rite cans.

edit: here's the second one a bit cheaper: CREE XM L T6 LED Flashlight Light Lamp Torch 1600Lm for Diving Fishing Hiking | eBay

They also make that light with a line cutter and glass shatter screws built in, but I figured that might pose issues if I want to travel with it. I've got one version of that, but I don't use it.

Dorcy.

I was looking about the Dorcy but I noticed all the bad reviews said it did great for about a year then the light started flickering and not working right.

Dorcy or the HOG Piglet. Piglet is actually 230 lumens on 3 aaa batteries while the Dorcy is 220 on 6 of them. I have four of the Dorcy lights but they are now for students that forget a back up for the aow class. I personally use a piglet and a morph. The piglet is 45.00 bucks.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 10:29 AM ----------

And it's only about 4 inches long. I usually throw in a ss bolt snap when someone buys one from me. The little plastic clip that comes with it is not my favorite feature.

If the battery selection could be different, this one is real hard to beat:

DGX 600 Handheld Light @ $49.95 (charger included)

https://www.divegearexpress.com/lights/backuplt.shtml#3806

I was thinking about that one, but the battery needs ruled it out.
That is a pretty good light, and it is sold for a few bucks less under the brinyte label, but I'd rather buy it from the US and not have to screw around with shipping.

If you aren't opposed to 18650s I'd say something like this: Diving 1600 LM CREE XM L2 XML2 LED Flashlight Waterproof Dive Torch Light Lamp | eBay Would be better for less money.

Without a doubt, the Dorcy's and hog piglets are popular backup lights, but they aren't nearly as bright (1/3-1/4 the brightness) and tend to cost more than the alternatives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom