Looking for a light....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad66

New
Reaction score
Hello I am in the market for a light that is somewhere around 300 bucks, I would prefer if it was rechargeable and pretty bright. This would be my primary light and be used mostly in a murky lake or river, hardly ever at night and unless something changes, probably not in caves. I have tried several UltraFire lights and they all leaked. I would like something I don't have to worry about to much and maybe comes with a warranty or guarantee. If anyone knows of any good lights they could point me towards I would appreciate it. I have searched the web for best lights etc, but I get very mixed results, and would prefer some real experience.

A Heser backup.

Not that many lumens but they are all on a 4 degree wide bright beam. A light sabre is what you want for communication in murky lakes. And oh, it works flooded as well and it does not have any electronics (just a plain led).

Use rechargeable NiMh cells if you prefer but verify the short circuit current and match the voltages to avoid battery-to-battery-charging.

No, you wont see the scenery but you can detect the bottom and find the line and communicate.

I have 4 DRIS 1K shorties- 2 for me 2 for the wife. Super small package, brighter than anyone elses that I've dove with. One always hangs on my right shoulder ring, and I DM in the murk. The second is for night dives and it hangs off the same shoulder for that. Both on at the same time was a lot of light on the last night dive. Not rechargable, but uses 3 AA and is LED. All are on their first set of batteries, and its been a few years. Still bright as ever.

yeah like Subcooled said, you want a light with a concentrated beam like the UK SL3 (buy: Amzn). You can see the beam profile on this page (third light down). - Not saying I like this light in any way though.

As for batteries - there are rechargable Ni-MH C cells.

That UK light used a special collimation lens to focus the light, however most lights use reflectors. In general the Cree XP-G2/XP-G & XP-E LEDs have a tighter beam than the brighter XM-L/XM-L2 LED. It has to do with what's called "viewing angle." All things being equal - The higher the viewing angle the wider the spread of light.

XM-L = 125 degrees - many Chinese lights use this LED. e.g. Brinyte
XP-G2 = 115 degrees - LightforMe (however this a multi-LED light)
XP-E = 115 degrees - I think the Dorcy dive light uses this LED

A single XP-G or XP-E won't be as bright as a single XM-L light, but the beam profile is generally not as wide.

Oh yeah, I have a UK SL3 as well. It was my first light - too bulky/heavy. It has a permanent home under my alarm clock table.....

Just got dgx600 ...impressed with it. Ok not a light monkey but for 50 bucks hard to go wrong. Still thinking about div10 but scared to deal with overseas distributers. I know dgx will stand behind...so is dris im sure

OK, I have yet to list this light but I have a light for sale. It is a larger cannister DR 21 watt HID which is focused from flood to around 8-10 degrees. This light has served me well and I hate to sell it but money calls. It has a rechargeable metal nickel hydride batteries and has a burn time of around 6 hours. So you get the light, cannister, batteries, charger and a home made handle. You can have it for $275.00 plus S&H. For an additional $60.00 I'll add the video reflector. Pictures available upon demand.

The day for spending big bucks on an average quality torch is over. For $150 you get a very nice light. Forget about the typical big brands, they are like Symbian/Blackberry smart phones vs iOS/Android...

I can only recommend you check out Archon, a China brand that seems to have gained popularity in the recent couple years everywhere.

You'll want to get D22, which is also my first light from them. Had it for 3 years now, uses two 26650 battery, 1000 lumen CREE LED, GREAT penetration at night and also at low light/vis condition. I use it to check out pits that are meters away from me. Very robust casing, no rust. Dropped it a few times on ground, still rocking. Price now is just about $100. I later bought two different small lights from them for different purposes. Try ali express.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom