what do you think about a light mount on a camera pole?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I personally think when I am using a camera pole I would like to brighten up an area like deeper dives or holes/crevices etc...

What do you think. Good or Bad idea?

Typically if people are going to add lights they go for a tray style setup. There's no reason you couldn't add arms to a pole though.
Make sure the light you get throws the light in a wide enough angle to cover your camera fov.

Typically if people are going to add lights they go for a tray style setup. There's no reason you couldn't add arms to a pole though.
Make sure the light you get throws the light in a wide enough angle to cover your camera fov.

That is definitely true. I saw some guy zip tie a UK SL4 onto his gopro mounted pole. The whole video consisted of a black image with a overexposed white dot in the middle of the screen.

That is definitely true. I saw some guy zip tie a UK SL4 onto his gopro mounted pole. The whole video consisted of a black image with a overexposed white dot in the middle of the screen.

I think he probably had the light way to close to the pole and also the telescopic pole was probably extended to far. This would explain the black shadow created by the camera in front of light right behind it.

I think he probably had the light way to close to the pole and also the telescopic pole was probably extended to far. This would explain the black shadow created by the camera in front of light right behind it.

? sounds like the light used was just incredibly narrow angled.

I've seen it done with a homemade Gopro monopod (using PVC pipes) with a light strapped somehow. The light has to have a wide-ish through though, and mounted relatively center. Otherwise, the shadows could be harsh.

white dot in center is the narrow beam of the flashlight. I actually recommended mounting the light way further back to make the lighted image a bit wider, but obviously it wouldn't really work given the shadow that would be casted by the pole itself. Thus I recommended finding some opaque plastic to put in front of the flashlight in order to diffuse its light somewhat. Whatever he found to use wasn't really feasible since it wouldn't stay put given the high drag created pulling it off.

I personally think when I am using a camera pole I would like to brighten up an area like deeper dives or holes/crevices etc...

What do you think. Good or Bad idea?

As a light used in unique situations you'd create some good footage. Back in the day when I was a pro we would always use lights creatively. When you're not a pro you are looking for more of a setup that you can use the majority of the time as you're not trying to produce unique shots or footage, but just recording some nice memories. The poll idea would be a great auxiliary light to use sparingly when the situation called for it, but I don't see it as your go to regular light set up.

Depends on its use? Camera sits on one side of the pole on a tripod mount, light sits at the other end of the pole angled to control for backscatter. The problem here is lack of flexibility of subject unless the pole or mounts were very flexible, so perhaps Mike is right.

Depends on its use? Camera sits on one side of the pole on a tripod mount, light sits at the other end of the pole angled to control for backscatter. The problem here is lack of flexibility of subject unless the pole or mounts were very flexible, so perhaps Mike is right.

I have been using a flexible/"adjustable" light mount on my camera pole and it seems to be very practical and works very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom