What's your favorite dive light brand?

What's your favorite dive light board?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seven007

Registered
Reaction score
We hope the poll can be help for other users who need a dive light.:)

My favorite might not necessarily be the one that I can afford. I love the Light and Motion lights but the premium on them often puts them into dream category. Also not sure you are getting biggest bang for your buck but I love their quality build and recharging is a snap.

After fixing initial problems related to low quality and wrong size o-rings, I am quite happy with my "made in china" lights. My primary lights are Magicshine MJ-850s rated at 1200 lm. I made 5 night dives in the week at Bonaire, using the 20% power mode, and it consumed only about 25% of the battery life after a full charge. My backs and daytime lights are Trustfire TR-J1s and they also performed reliably after switching to good o-rings.

In time, I expect to have to deal with failed magnetic switches as the magnets are subject to corrode. Replacement magnets are available on ebay.

I'm sure they'd be more appreciative if you spelled their name right.... They are also woefully behind in the technology curve using the vastly inferior nimh battery technology. Are they making their lights in house or are they outsourcing them? I thought they were made by Salvo way back when.....

I'm sure they'd be more appreciative if you spelled their name right.... They are also woefully behind in the technology curve using the vastly inferior nimh battery technology. Are they making their lights in house or are they outsourcing them? I thought they were made by Salvo way back when.....

Well, JJ would probably find your error even more egregious. Salvo never made Halcyon lights. The subject is too sensitive to even talk about so I'll leave it at that...

And yes, Halcyon should have been included since they pioneered the modern canister light, of which all others are knock-offs.

I generally dive my UK lights but I have a Green Force that I like when I need a light that will cut through hull plating or heat the surrounding water when I get cold :). Seriously though - very good narrow beam.

LOL, you are totally correct (on the spelling part)
In a hurry writing - so pardon

Regarding the rest, you may want to check out their lights!:)

My apologies about the salvo reference, the canisters and heads looked to be almost identical and I figured they had contracted the lights out or were rebranding them i.e. the scooters and a few other things.

I've dove them, but still don't like HID's, the LED technology has blown HID's out of the water in overall dive quality. They can't signal like laser beams in murky water, but the overall quality is better. The boot switch is also an inferior design to the piezo switches, same with Li-Po or LiFe batteries over the NiMH. The NiMH is especially irritating if you're doing multiple dives/day since you can't recharge them between dives without screwing the battery pack up.

The Halcyon cans are nice, don't get me wrong, but the UWLD is superior in every way except signalling in the nastiest of the nasty conditions......

Back
Top Bottom