Looking for a GREAT canister light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crass3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't know much about canister lights but want to get a really nice one for cave diving in the future. What makes one light better than the other? What type of bulb/LED puts out the best light? I'm looking for a nice light that I can use to light the background up better as my camera doesn't seem to do well with just the flash. Any information about canister lights be they pros/cons would be greatly appreciated. Looking for a long running light that could possibly change the light brightness during the dive.

What type of batteries are typically used (I assume lithium ion)? If I buy a used light is it likely the battery won't last as long as a newer light?

This is really more of a Ford/Chevy type thing. There are a number of good manufacturers and each one has it's fans. LED or HID is still debatable. HID still produces a better quality of light (so I am told) than LED, but the LEDs are no slouches. They are also much more robust than HID and seem to have become the defacto favorite to most.

My personal choice would be for Light Monkey since I have an old can-light still going strong after many years (made by them under a different company name long ago)

Underwater Light Dude makes some awesome led lights. I really prefer the size of the light head and the brightness. His beam angle is not super tight and in water that isn't really clear it reflects back at you. This can be compensated for by adjusting the brightness down and also holding the light out to the side. Light Monkey is a close second. They are the best in HID lights by far. Their LED's are a single LED and have a more focused beam unlike UWLD lights that have 3 LED's. Because of this I like them better in crappy viz situations but I prefer the UWLD light for the majority of my cave diving in clear water. As a note I have a LM 26w LED and a UWLD 3500 lumen light. I don't know where you are located but most of the cave country dive shops will let you demo whatever lights they sell prior to you buying one. In my opinio there is no perfect light as they all have advantages and disadvantages but you can't go wrong with either LM or UWLD.

UWLD makes the best lights on the market, period, bar none. They aren't cheap, but aren't really any worse than any other rather bright lights. You can actually grab a cheap canister, even if it is a HID with a busted bulb, and somewhere in the $450 range have it converted to a UWLD head which makes it quite economical.

What about the new 'Halcyon Focus' led light.. seams like a good light for caves/wreck.. good focus, and adj spread for lighting up bigger areas. Supposedly the "new standard" in led lights for diving.
As strong a light as the major hid's but only consum half the power.

it's just like the new iPhone, technology that's a few years old and priced twice as high as it should be. It's a quality light, but not at the insane price they're asking for it.

it's just like the new iPhone, technology that's a few years old and priced twice as high as it should be. It's a quality light, but not at the insane price they're asking for it.
The halcyon ?

How are you ascertaining what the price "should be" re the light?

How are you ascertaining what the price "should be" re the light?

It is easy to ascert that as everyone knows the blue H's add 100% to the value of any dive gear.

All kidding aside I just don't see it. In my opinion one of the advantages to LED is the small size. With the UWLD 3500 lumen light I see more cave than I did with my 35 w HID. It is also a smaller light head. The thing looks huge and is being compared to a 21 w hid. I don't know if Extreme Exposure has any demo units but if I was interested in it I would get a UWLD 3500, LM 26 w or now 32w led I think and the Halcyon Focus and take them diving. I would bet the UWLD 3500 will be the winner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom