Are Salvo Lights as Good as Light Monkey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've read that Salvo sort of became Light Monkey, so they are effectively the same brand, but is there any material difference between the lights being sold today under the LM brand and the older Salvo-branded ones?

I'm asking because I got a chance to try out a LM 21w HID and was extremely impressed with it, and I have noticed a Salvo 18w HID for sale in my area. Aside from the obvious difference in power, are they comparable?

Salvo = LM. They didn't "sort of become" LM, they simply incorporated under a new name due to some legal hassles from Halcyon.

Salvo = LM. They didn't "sort of become" LM, they simply incorporated under a new name due to some legal hassles from Halcyon.

So the hardware they were using then (bulbs, ballasts, batteries, etc.) are the same as now? The older ones are as durable, and perform as well as the new?

It's the same company and same people.
I have an old Salvo HID off ebay and it's great. Comparable to all my friends Halcyon torches (hence the legal trouble, based on what I've heard). The HID ballasts are round and a little less obtrusive than the comparable Halcyon lights. Light monkey will still service them too. They do good work on a good product.

So the hardware they were using then (bulbs, ballasts, batteries, etc.) are the same as now? The older ones are as durable, and perform as well as the new?

Salvo was years ago - technology has progressed and what's inside the lights isn't exempt from that, probably most notably in the battery area. However, they're basically the same design. If you want to know more, get the details on the light you're interested in and email Corey at Light Monkey, he'll be able to tell you what's the same, what's changed, and the differences. I had LM basically gut and rebuild a 21W HID for a very nominal service/parts cost...it's basically a brand new LM light now, albeit with a less fancy (i.e., unsealed) battery than what they're building now.

I would avoid 18W HIDs in favor of the 21W, but that's just me.

The bulbs, ballasts, and canisters are the same. LM has gone to a sealed battery/banana plug connector system, whereas the old Salvos were loose battery/Anderson connector setups. The difference is that you can flood the battery, and the wires and connectors are weak points and break and need repair (we always travel with spare Anderson connectors). However, sealed batteries have to be returned to LM if you want to replace them, and are not interchangeable with people with the older design. I haven't owned one of the new ones, so I don't know which way I would like better.

Either way, you get the same fabulous customer service from LM. All of our lights are Salvo HIDs, some of which have been upgraded to LiIon by LM.

If salvo used the same 18w bulb as halcyon they are no longer made so keep that in mind.

But if you go for a late salvo model (sealed lipo battery) I think they are the same as a light monkey. (only the logo is less cool I suppose ;D )

I would avoid 18W HIDs in favor of the 21W, but that's just me.

All things being equal I would feel the same, but the 18W can be had for <CAN$300, which happens to be my budget. Would you say it's worth it at that price?

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2014 at 02:34 AM ----------

Either way, you get the same fabulous customer service from LM. All of our lights are Salvo HIDs, some of which have been upgraded to LiIon by LM.

How much did it cost you to upgrade them?

How warey should I be of other costs associated with HID, such as bulb or ballast replacement, when buying used?

I don't really remember, but I think it cost us around 3 or 400 dollars to upgrade. That might not have included the batteries, though. We did it a while back.

LM's prices are reasonable, but it will cost you $100 up for bulb or ballast, and both do fail eventually.

I have a Salvo 10A, 21W light with the sealed lithium battery compartment and remote ballast (circa Dec. 2008). After about 4 years, the ignitor failed and it was re-built by Light Monkey; no problems. They did the battery (swapped lipo for li-ion) at the same time and I think it was $400-500. Came back bright, shiny, and as good as new. Super easy to work with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom