Beam Adjustable Light for Photo or Video less than $200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bawel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently looking for beam adjustable diving light for taking photos or videos at night for like less than $200. I had my eyes set on Big Blue CF900P, but I'm looking for any input. I'm intending to put this on an arm like 8" or 10". I intend to use this for scuba diving at night in Tulamben, Bali.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance :)

Bawel

The light you're interested in has a max beam angle of 37 degrees. I would never recommend any light for video with an angle below 60 degrees, and the higher the better. I have dual sola 1200s, i find their 60 degree beams to be too narrow, even when used together. I have yet to see a light at any price I would use for stills. I've used an 18,000 lumen light, and it was inadequate for sharp stills. If my 7D didn't take sharp photos with that, you aren't going to get much with 900 lumens. There should be many threads about why video lights don't work well for still photography.

I am curious as to why you want an adjustable beam light. Wide beams do fine in tropical waters, granted they can scare the critters off, but switching to wide to shoot video will do that anyway. Narrow beams are great for turbid water, as they allow other people to see your location more easily, and wide beams tend to produce a "high-beams in fog" effect, effectively blinding you. Adjustable beams would not be my priority for tropical diving, though it may be anise feature in general, if the difference is great enough. My aforementioned Solas have a narrow beam of about 10, which is not super narrow, and a wide beam of about 60.

I can't help you with your price point, hopefully someone else on here has good experiences with lights in that range. UK and iTorch both make some less expensive lights that would likely work for you, but I've never dived them.

Alex

Hi Alex,

i'm actually not too sure what lights would work best, because it's my first time going diving at night and I would like to be able to take pictures or switch to videos if needed to. I was reading somewhere that wide beams might scare the fishes away, I guess that's not true :)

Thank you for your input tho, appreciate it

I'm currently looking for beam adjustable diving light for taking photos or videos at night for like less than $200. I had my eyes set on Big Blue CF900P, but I'm looking for any input. I'm intending to put this on an arm like 8" or 10". I intend to use this for scuba diving at night in Tulamben, Bali.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance :)

Bawel
-------------------------------------------------------
Please try Hi-max V14
Or email to minosyu2013@gmail.com

This one is [Power]:30W
[Luminance]:Wide:2400lm;Spot:900lm;Red:140lm;UV:3W
[Angle]:Wide:100Degress;Spot:25Degress; Red: 100 Degress;UV: 100 Degres I think you will like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom