getting ready to buy a new light... focus or flare????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joshua Woods

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking at ordering a new focus or flare on Monday. what is the go to light? it was easy last time I purchased one was late 90's I got an 18watt hid with a 9 ah battery and I still have it so I am going to upgrade. I have never realy needed to focus my light its a set it and forget thing the flare looks a lot more compact I just want to know what are others buying? do you wish you had bought the other one?

Maybe, while setting the focus on test tube designs was a little bit fiddly it is very easy with the new Focus, now. So you might be tempted to use this feature much more. Moreover the Focus is "hotter" than the Flare - its beam is tighter and therefore a little bit better penetrating. Advantage of the Flare - it is smaller.

Was looking at Halcyon Focus/Flare; went instead with UTD Viz 35 Light System because of its flexibility as powered by either a cordless directly attached battery pack, or traditional hip mounted higher Amp/hr battery pack through an E/O cord. You're in San Diego, so I recommend going straight to UTD HQ to try it out in their pool.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDob7yYkZN0

(Taking my V35 back to Truk Lagoon for two weeks of wreck diving: we'll see how it holds up).

Thanks guys checking into some of the recommendation before pulling the trigger. The uwld lights can you order them with a traditional goodman?

I looked at the specs. It would seem crazy to buy anything else??? Am I missing a drawback?these look amazing for less money. I went to diveriteinscuba but they only had the light head listed for sale. I will call them Monday any other source that carried these?

Back
Top Bottom