DIV10 handheld light comparable to DIV10 Brinyte can light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bada3003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if there is a handheld DIV10 light comparable in quality to the Brinyte DIV10 can light? I'm trying to move away from can lights and as long as ~2000+ lumens with ~2 hour run time, it serves my needs as a primary light for overhead environments. I have a FinnSub 1400 Short and several "1000 lumen" handhelds (including the DRIS Shorty). They are ok as backups but lacking as primaries.

I don't think DIV10 makes 3000 lumen at all. In fact, I don't think it makes 2000 Lumen. I have one myself. Here is my estimation:

With 3x 4000mAh KingKong cells, I got about 2.5hr runtime at high. That means the light draw 1.2A from the battery pack. let's say the efficiency of the Chinese made driver is ~83% (which is quite optimistic), so about 1A goes into the LEDs. From Cree data sheet,@1A, XM-L2 U2 bin LED produces 412 lumen. 3 LEDs will gives 1236 lumen, give or take. I think it is a very good light for the money, but it isn't anything like a Light Monkey, Halcyon, or UWLD.

For a real 2000 lumen light with 2 hr of runt time, you will probably need 6x 26650 cells. I don't think it is practical without a canister.

Have a link to that? I am skeptical the same head could be run in a handheld application with a burn time that long.

Sorry for the late response. Came back from a dive trip and didn't get a chance to check SB.

I'm not a light engineer but I was assuming that the main difference between a handheld and can dive light is the form factor and the obviously larger battery pack the latter can pack. Given that the DIV10 Brinyte takes three 26650 batteries, I'm wondering whether these cannot be fit in fat, round can (not the long one of the can version) to be used as a handheld. I took apart a FinnSub 1400 Short once and the can containing the battery pack is just four 18650 taped together (in series) with a small pcb containing power control circuitry. It's actually cheaply made (just two o-rings hold the connector in place) and essentially not any different from what Andrew's DIY can does.

So with the approximate burn time (from a couple of cave dives) that scubastingray was reporting, I was thinking that a minor change in form factor would make the DIV10 Brinyte into an awesome handheld light. Unless I'm missing something major.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2014 at 08:15 PM ----------

Thanks. You may be correct and there's all the discussion about meaningful light performance measurement including lux. scubastingray's pics indicate that the DIV10 Brinyte is significantly brighter than a "1000" lumen handheld. Related, Dive Rite has introduced the LX20 primary handheld which seems to be moving toward "high performance" focused beam handhelds. Ships in a few days but it's priced at $699.

I don't think DIV10 makes 3000 lumen at all. In fact, I don't think it makes 2000 Lumen. I have one myself. Here is my estimation:

With 3x 4000mAh KingKong cells, I got about 2.5hr runtime at high. That means the light draw 1.2A from the battery pack. let's say the efficiency of the Chinese made driver is ~83% (which is quite optimistic), so about 1A goes into the LEDs. From Cree data sheet,@1A, XM-L2 U2 bin LED produces 412 lumen. 3 LEDs will gives 1236 lumen, give or take. I think it is a very good light for the money, but it isn't anything like a Light Monkey, Halcyon, or UWLD.

For a real 2000 lumen light with 2 hr of runt time, you will probably need 6x 26650 cells. I don't think it is practical without a canister.

Did you just assume that the draw from a light was linear? If so, that's certainly not the case.

I agree that the lumens are grossly overstated, however a single module of this LED driven by an 18650 is quite comparable to the Hollis, DGX, DRIS, and many other "1K" lights.
Simply put, the thing is a cannon. There are few lights it has been with that haven't been drowned out. I've taken to running it at 50%-75%.

If you are caught up on a number, then you may have to spend 10x what the DIV10 costs, however if you want a damn bright light this is a good buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom