My Light on Wall Test, SOLA 600 vs SOLA 2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Santa brought me two new SOLA 2000 lumen flood only Video lights for my gopro tray rig. These 2000's don't spot beam, but I never use that anyways

In the past I've had twin SOLA 600's, and they've served well, you can switch between spot and flood on these, and the SOLA 800 or 1200 are the next steps up.

IMHO, SOLA's are the best bullet proof damnsexy lights out there.

So my new Champagne color trim 2000's came in and I wanted to test the two lights for intensity and beam spread.

My wall test, of my high-bay shop doors, that are 14' x 14' each.

Lights are on kitchen chairs, about 6 foot back from doors. SOLA 600 on left SOLA 2000 on right. I'm back about 30 foot from the 36 foot wide wall of doors.

Observations: the 2000 has a subtle warmer tone, and the beam spread goes much wider and softer, remember those 2 shop doors are 14x14 doors each. In the close up side-x-side picture, note the hot spot of the left side 600, where as the 2000 even up close, is still softer and wider.

The far back photo tells the story though, of how much more light you can throw at a wall of coral during a dive, and with twin lights on loc-line, totally easily to aim.

So I'm jumping from 1200 total lumens to 4000. Fiji will be fun soon!

grins

Thanks Backscatter, you guys rock

SOLAcomp1.jpgSOLAcomp4.jpgSOLAcomp2.jpg.

I'd have to say I prefer the color temp of the 600 in this comparison.

After your upcoming trip, be sure & post some (before using 600's vs post using the 2000s) videos.........tia......

EDIT:-where are you heading in Fiji---we were @ Beqa Lagoon a couple years ago & LOVED it--esp the Tiger Shark dive(for me anyway).....

I'd have to say I prefer the color temp of the 600 in this comparison.
Which could easily be skewed by white balance. The color temp cues you should take from this should be relative. They may look very different in person.

True enough.

I went from 600's to the 2000F's too. The best thing is the much longer run time on the lower settings, hours and hours, I leave mine on low (500 lumens so about the same as a 600 on full) and just bump them up if needed.

Both my 600's had a slightly different temperature, my 2000s do too, probably not as marked as the pic on the white doors, and not even noticeable in use, but they do have a slightly different colour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom