Recommendations: rechargeable light, primary, recreational, night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GratefulDiver11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need a new primary light for night dives, recreational diving. I want to go with a rechargeable. I really hate buying/throwing out a handful of C or D cells for one or two night dives until a couple months pass before I get to use the light again. I'd like to stay under $200, which seems difficult except for the Big Blue AL900WP (85 degree angle, not the extra wide). Lots of reviews tout this model for use with Go Pro--I'm not interested in using for video, just as a primary night dive light. Any alternative suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Either the DRIS impact or the $49 led from divegearexpress. Both are small, very bright, rechargeable and solid. Great for recreational dives, night dives and as a back up for tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with the DGX one just based on price alone, hard to argue with it. Grab two of them and you'll be set. They are a little tight, but that's not the end of the world and the 18650 batteries are cheap to buy so you can have a backup set of batteries.

THIS One Best light for the Dollars

Stockhttps://www.divegearexpress.com
/lights/backuplt.shtml

wow-50.png

$49.95

[h=3]DGX 600 Handheld Light [/h] [h=3]SPECIAL PURCHASE - Excellent Value and Quality![/h] Offering 600 lumens and depth rated below 600 feet, the DGX 600 Handheld Light features a true out-the-front 600 system lumens (1100+ raw LED lumens) of cool white 6500°K light in a tight 8° beam. Using the supplied lithium-ion 18650 rechargeable battery, this compact light has a burn time of about one hour † at close to full brightness plus another hour of gradually declining but usable light. According to CREE, the DGX 600 has one of the highest performing single-die LEDs that is commercially available, the XLamp XM-L2 U2 LED, and is single-mode driven to prioritize light output over burn time. Although no substitute for a canister light, we are not exaggerating when we say this handheld light throws more punch than many of the previous generation of canister primary lights in the water today. Considering the Dive Gear Express price, the DGX 600 represents an excellent value for the brightest handheld backup light we have ever offered.

I am just about sold on the DGX 600. Seems like a great value...and lots of recommendations--thanks! The beam seems so tight though. Anyone found this to be an issue for use as a primary?

Hatul and Roatan Joe, the specs for those models don't mention beam width. Any idea how they compare to the 8* beam on the DGX 600?

it is a narrow beam but it is designed as a backup signalling light for cave divers. We are typically in close quarters so the 8* beam is close.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Diverightinscuba/featured
Check DRiS's Youtube channel, they have some videos that show the general beam characteristics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRykOlyHUZw
That shows the shorty which has the LED module in it, slightly wider beam, so it's not like a little laser pointer, it does have some spillover.

Back
Top Bottom