Dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobo

Reaction score
I was looking to purchase a dive light dont want to spend to much under$50 anyone have any recommendations?

Thx all

What kind of diving do you do???? Dive lights don't get the attention they deserve. You'll realize how important they are when you are in a wreck/cave and the light fails. Nothing worse than when you at depth and the light is soo dim, you can hardly see. Spent some $$$$ and get a good one.

lobo:
I was looking to purchase a dive light dont want to spend to much under$50 anyone have any recommendations?

Thx all

Yes, I have a recommendation - save your money and get a good light.

OK whats a good light... dont plan on going cave diving just a little night diving and I dont want to rent one..

Boogie711:
Yes, I have a recommendation - save your money and get a good light.

In light of all the latest dive light talks in the OFWF area I too am interested in the definition of a good dive light and what a fair market value for the production and sale of said light would be.

Not just a name but the technical reason why it is a superior product.

Thanks.

It depends on what type of diving you do. If you are in clear water, not to deep and no overhead, a good 4-c such as a princeton tec or UK works fine. You should have at least two of them. If the water is murkey a really bright light will actuall hinder your vision. If you are in to deep or overhead, invest in a couple of really good ones.

Sonny

Dive lights can run from $35 up to $1400+ for an HID Cannister light.

I started with an Ikelite PC 4-C cell light and a Underwater Kinetics SL4. Both can probably be had from Leisurepro fairly cheaply. They will do the job until you move on to more advanced diving.

Desa:
If the water is murkey a really bright light will actuall hinder your vision.

Not really. The problem isn't the brightness of the light, it's the focus of the reflector. A wide-beam reflector will hinder your vision...a tight beam will improve it and do wonders.

Not really. The problem isn't the brightness of the light, it's the focus of the reflector. A wide-beam reflector will hinder your vision...a tight beam will improve it and do wonders.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know, I just thought we were trying to keep this simple......my bad.Sonny

Valid question, even though knowing you as I do I'm not sure if you're baiting or not. :)

Look - for $50 the original poster could get what - a single Tec40 from Princeton Tec? Oh - check that - Leisurepro could sell him a Shockwave2. But I hated the Shockwave 2. I found it's beam too diffuse to be any good underwater for signalling - just in quarry night dives. Nothing too technical there.

He or she could get a C8 from UK, (which I prefer the beam pattern) but then you're looking at constantly changing the batteries out of the thing. I guess, Lobo, if you're absolutely stuck in "need to have a light, don't want to shell out $" mode, get a UK C8 or D8. I think you can get a D8 with a lantern grip instead of a pistol grip, which means you can also use your hands for other things as well.

But speaking from my personal experience and recommendation - my dive enjoyment improved immensely when I picked up an HID cannister light. It's not just a light - it's a signalling device and a passive buddy locator. I picked mine up for $500 from a guy here on the board. And it meant my Shockwave2 sat in a corner unused until I finally just got rid of it. In retrospect, I would have been far better to just borrow a light until I got my cannister light.

I am new at this posting stuff. How do you get the quote in the little box?

Back
Top Bottom