Reliable Economical Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Scherman

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a new diver and looking to buy a decent pistol grip light as well as a smaller back up. Are all brands equal or are there some to be avoid and others to be sought out? Thanks
George

My favorite "economical" pistol grip (primary) light would be the UK C8. I've seen them for as little as $49.

My favorite "economical" backup light would be the Ikelite PCLite (four C batteries) or the smaller PCa (six AA batteries). Either comes with a bright, focused beam for less than $30.

I have not had good success with the many models out there that require the light head be twisted to turn on ... I always manage to flood them in the process of turning them on.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Try UK or Princeton Tec.

I own several Princeton Tec's. They are good lights and also have a lifetime manufactureres warranty on them, which I've used on a broken one and got it replaced w/o problem from them.

had a princeton tec, worked very well for me, but after comparing it to my new UK light cannon the beam is very yellow, so look at the UK C8 LED, which has no bulb, so impossible to break, and is supposed to have a very bright white beam, i know Larry at scubatoys.com has them in stock

believe me once you see a white light you will bever want to use a beam that is yellow again..

I use the UK eLed C4, great little lite, batteries last a long time and the bright white LED light is great. The LED lamp doesn't burn very hot, so you don't have to worry about melting the case if it happens to get turned on out of the water (yes this can happen, my wife's PC-LITE was left on in her dive bag and the lens melted, of course she tried to use it after that and flooded it).
IMHO, I highly recommend this lite.

Years ago, on a morning charter I had, I found a matched pair of UK 1200's that someone must have dropped the night before. They're still working fine after 15 years. Princeton makes great lights as well - I've been using the Tec 400's for over 10 years. Great backup light.
The UK Light Cannons are pretty cool and probably the cheapest way to light up a simple u/w video system.

i really like my little UK SL4. very very nice light on land, good enough in water. lol.

i guess that would be a decent backup light.

Back
Top Bottom