Where to attach a canister light on a bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer

Reaction score
OK my light will be finished by the weekend and I'm looking at how best to carry it. I haven't yet moved over to a back plate and wings, but still use my zeagle ranger bc. I couldn't put the can on the waist strap as that puts it too far in front and bangs on my legs when I move (could be painful :wink:) so I was wondering where other people attach their lights if not using a backplate.

Cheers,

Justin.

If you have a standard BCD you have a few options.

- You can hang it on your weightbelt

- you can attach it to your tank via the cam band

- you can attach some bolt snaps to your canister and hang it on your D -rings like a tiny stage bottle.

The most out of the way option and the one that I see most divers using around here is to attach it to the cam-band. Don't forget to hang it upside down (switch down) if you want to be able to turn it on and off by yourself.

Hanging it on the weightbelt is fairly straightforward but if your BCD has large pockets then the canister will interfere with the pockets and visa versa.

I've never seen anyone sling the canister but to my way of thinking if you had a couple of D rings that were close enough together this could be the best option for both access and keeping it tucked away using a standard BCD.

What kind of a BCD do you have?

R..

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I have a zeagle ranger, which is weight integrated, hence it's not so easy to attach the canister. I like the idea of putting it on the cam band, which I think will be the easiest option.

Good point to hang it upside down, I'm sure I'd have forgotten that first time out.

Cheers,

Justin.

My dive buddy has a zeagle ranger and a sartek 10w HID cansister light. Attached to your airbladder are two clip rings that hold the nylon backplate to your bladder. Get some stronger zipties and ziptie your cansister to these clips. Good luck. Hope to see you out there. Sid

I thought of using a weight belt, but with the pockets on the bc, they would get in the way of the canister if the belt was where I would normally put it (waist). I think i'll try putting it on the cam band for now, and see how it goes.

Ultimately I'm going the bp/w route which will put it on the hip.

Cheers,

Justin.

boomx5:
Try using a weight belt without the weights. That way you'll have access to the switch if you need it, or you can always ditch the light if you needed to.

I have a "buddy light" that I bring on every trip - and I have yet to dive with someone that hasn't been able to simply attach the light first, then don their BC.

The set up is simple - just a LONG weight belt with no weights. Its so long because sometimes I gets attached over the hips. I'll bring some bungee for the BP/W divers that dive with ACB (the "bungeeroo") or just remove the belt if they want to thread it onto their current weightbelt. Pic Attached.

Sometimes it sits a bit lower (on the hips, really) to fit under some buddy's fluffy BC's, and with some others, it fits right on the waist.

I used to thread it onto the cam bands - but what a hassle re-threading those things...

---
Ken

Scott/Ken, ok you've convinced me to try this, I prefer the idea of being able to ditch it if I had to, so I'll try the weight belt route and see how that goes.

Cheers,

J.

Freeflyer:
Scott/Ken, ok you've convinced me to try this, I prefer the idea of being able to ditch it if I had to, so I'll try the weight belt route and see how that goes.

Cheers,

J.

I think I paid like $8.00 for the buckle, webbing and two triglides.

Have fun threading the buckle. I hate that!

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom