Niterider Hid Dive Rechargeable Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be able to tell you Thursday after we get back from diving/testing my Niterider HID against my husbands Halcyon HID. We're looking forward to the comparison.

Thanks... if you could, please let me know your results either through a post on this thread or a private message.

Have Fun!!!

Originally posted by MightyDiver
I'll be able to tell you Thursday after we get back from diving/testing my Niterider HID against my husbands Halcyon HID. We're looking forward to the comparison.
Can you just see the passengers of airplanes flying over Lake Travis wondering what that strange glow underwater is?

Hmmmm...

The Halcyon lights have been seen 3 miles into caves at 300'.... don't recall the Niteriders around there.

Tommy

the halcyon is actually cheaper. about 650 for a pro6/10w (lead acid battery) and maybe about 900-1000 for a helios (nimh, like the niterider). the niterider is 900 for the 'pro' model.

and the halcyon is damn near indestructible. and focusable. and it has a real goodman handle. and a reputation for quality. what else? i don't think there's any reason to get a niterider.

btw, i have a pro6/10w and it is _bright_. planes will be landing on you if you don't watch which way you point it. real nice light.

Light 1: Halcyon Explorer Pro3 -> Lead Acid battery, HID 10 Watt bulb

http://www.halcyon.net/lights/pro03_spec.shtml
Light 2: Niterider HID Dive Light -> NiMH battery, HID 10 Watt bulb

http://www.niteriderdive.com/Mercha..._Code=DLI&Product_Code=2011&Category_Code=1LS

Battery Size. The Pro3 has a lead acid battery so of course it is much larger and heavier than the NiteRider. Even so, the Pro3 is not very heavy at all, and the NiteRider is definitely tiny. The battery housing is approx 5.5 x 4 x 1.4 inches, and very light.

I wear the halcyon light on my right side, DIR style, MightyDiver wore the NiteRider with the battery clipped to her top tank strap.

The night rider comes with a "soft wrist mount" which she wore on her hand like the goodman handle on the Pro3, but she liked it much better as we sized it to fit perfectly.

The output of the lights as far as could tell was approximately equal and of the same color. The Pro3 has the added bonus of being able to change the focal length. The pro3 seemed to penetrate the murk a bit farther when the beam was fully narrowed.

MightDiver realy likes the small size of the hand mount as well as the (lack of) weight of the system. She didn't even feel that she was carrying the light around.

both have nice long cords. No problems even though we mounted the niterider on the back of the tank.

the NiteRider came with light, battery (as a single unit), recharger, car adapter for the recharger, soft wrist mount, and also a head mount harness. A pretty neat little unit.

Mighty's....

BIG thanks for the review. If your light was lost and you had to buy again one of the two, (Pro 3 vs. Niterider HID) which would you choose?

Throw the new Helios 4.5 in the mix and would that change the answer?

I am considering the Helios 4.5, Pro 3, and the Niterider HID and the less expensive Blackwater 3000. Decisions decisions...

Originally posted by noshow
Mighty's....

BIG thanks for the review. If your light was lost and you had to buy again one of the two, (Pro 3 vs. Niterider HID) which would you choose?

Throw the new Helios 4.5 in the mix and would that change the answer?

MightyDiver reporting in for us both.

Okay, I (MightyDiver) would again buy the Niterider HID because of the tiny size and weight. I am small and it suits me since I need no extra weight in the water and the light is so compact and unobtrusive on the back of my hand. It would be the perfect light if it just had a focusable beam!

MightyScuba, however says HELIOS!!!! If it had been available when he was choosing his light he would have bought the Helios for sure.

Back
Top Bottom