UK eLED AA8! (Modified C4)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sucnip

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All. I modified my UK C4 eLed over the weekend to run on 8 AA NiMh batteries. I wanted the torch to be as bright as the 8 cell version but more compact. The C8 can be bulky to pack and heavy in the water. The modification took less than an hour to do, is completely reversible and even works with 4C batteries in a pinch.

To do the mod you will need to buy two AA battery holders. One that holds 6AA batteries (3 on each side) and one that holds two. Wire the battery packs up on series. Next wire the battery pack to the eLed module. I took off the two screws holding the battery contact plate (careful not to loose the gas pelets) and soldered wires to the contact springs, then replaced the battery contact plate. Remove the spring base plate (it slides out). Put the two battery packs inside the C4, replace the eLed module and screw down the lens. Laugh all the way to the battery store.

I used 9V battery clips to make the battery pack removable and to assist with in torch charging. With this setup you can even disconnect the battery pack and use 4C batteries.

Performance wise the torch seems brighter than with 4C. The spot seems more intese. After about 2 hours I got bored and switched it off. I think the burn time is around 3-4 hours. Plenty for me given that I plan to recharge the torch after one or two night dives.

Enjoy!!

Sounds good, What type of charger are you using? can you leave the batteries in their pack and charge all together?

sharkinabus:
Sounds good, What type of charger are you using? can you leave the batteries in their pack and charge all together?

Presently I pull the batteries out and charge them individually. I suspect any 9.6V charger designed for Remote control multi-pack AA batteries will work just fine.

Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom