Liquivision Recalls Batteries and Charges for Xen, Xeo and Kaon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coloradodiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
21 March 2013
[h=3]Liquivision Recalls Rechargeable Batteries and Chargers[/h]
Further to three reported incidents (one battery “venting”, or violently releasing gas, and two batteries exploding on a charger), Liquivision is voluntarily recalling the following Xen, Xeo and Kaon dive computer accessories it distributes:
- ICR 16340 rechargeable batteries (GREEN sleeve)
- Power-Plus chargers, model M123A
tumblr_inline_mk1fjrhC561qz4rgp.png

Customers are asked to:
- immediately stop using the products
- remove any ICR 16340 batteries from the charger and place them in individual plastic bags to prevent them from short circuiting. Dispose of them in an appropriate battery disposal or recycling facility
- dispose of the chargers at an appropriate electronics disposal or recycling facility
Customers SHOULD NOT ship these products back to the dealer, distributor or manufacturer, as they pose an explosion hazard.
Customers can file a claim online to receive a product replacement. A proof of purchase will be required.
More INFORMATION and the CLAIMS FORM can be found here:
Liquivision : Battery Recall
Customers can continue diving their Xen, Xeo or Kaon dive computers using DISPOSABLE batteries:
- ER14335M single-use batteries (WHITE wrapper with blue text) are compatible with computers that have a black battery holder.
- ER17335M single-use batteries (BLUE wrapper) are compatible with computers that have a white battery holder.
You can see pictures of these battery types here:
Liquivision : Scuba : Extras : Batteries for our Enlightened Series (Xen, Xeo and Kaon)

[h=3]Liquivision Battery Recall is Now OPTIONAL.[/h]
NEW EVIDENCE
Liquivision has received additional information about the exact context of the incidents involving the explosion of rechargeable batteries and chargers.
Every explosion incident involved customers charging:
a BLUE, disposable, ONE-use battery (ER 17335M) together with
a GREEN, rechargeable, MULTI-use battery (ICR 16340)
The picture below clearly shows how the BLUE battery has exploded, while the GREEN battery is still whole, although a bit burned and damaged from the neighbouring explosion. You can also see that the charger is damaged on the side where the BLUE battery was charged and then exploded:
tumblr_inline_mkamkcK8QR1qz4rgp.jpg

CONCLUSIONS
1) Charging a disposable BLUE ER17335M battery will ALWAYS result in an explosion. Customers should NEVER charge a BLUE ER17335M disposable battery. This is marked on the battery, on our website and in our user manual.
2) Liquivision now deems that the GREEN ICR 16340 rechargeable batteries and chargers are safe for continued use, as long as they are used properly (i.e. ONLY GREEN ICR 16340 rechargeable batteries are recharged).
Next Steps For Customers
Customers who have filed claims with Liquivision for a replacement of their GREEN ICR 16340 batteries and Power-Plus chargers will have their claims honoured, unless they email us to cancel their request.
Customers who still feel concerned about the GREEN ICR 16340 batteries and Power-Plus chargers may file a claim until April 30, 2013.
Next Steps For Liquivision
Since the safety of our customers was a primary consideration, Liquivision discontinued sales of GREEN ICR 16340 Lithium-Ion (Cobalt) batteries and Power-Plus chargers prior to obtaining full evidence about the causes of the explosions. As we researched alternative battery options, we identified Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) rechargeable batteries and chargers as an even better solution. Research shows LiFePo4 chemistry to be even more stable than Li-Ion (Cobalt):
Lithium iron phosphate battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Additionally, while the LiFePo4 rechargeable batteries offer slightly lower dive time than the lithium-ion (cobalt) ones, they are capable of more charge cycles. For this reason, we will proceed with LiFePo4 batteries as our rechargeable batteries of choice.
IMPORTANT: the new LiFePo4 rechargeable batteries must be charged in a LiFePo4 charger. The GREEN ICR 16340 Lithium-Ion (Cobalt) batteries must be charged in a Lithium-Ion (Cobalt) charger, such as the Power-Plus M123A charger they shipped with. Do NOT mix the battery chemistries/chargers as this could damage battery performance.

Margaret Malewski
CEO, Liquivision Products, Inc

I know a thing or 2 about Li-ion batteries since doing some flashlight builds. I would be interested in buying a Kaon if I could use 16340 batteries.

One should be able to get improved run times with quality Li-ion batteries. I know there's a lot of junk Li-ion batteries out there like xxxfire, Tenergy, etc. I'm not talking about them.

question: Can the 16340 cell be charged to the normal 4.2V and used in the Kaon and Xeo? I can easily charge to 3.6V if necessary.

I know a thing or 2 about Li-ion batteries since doing some flashlight builds. I would be interested in buying a Kaon if I could use 16340 batteries.

One should be able to get improved run times with quality Li-ion batteries. I know there's a lot of junk Li-ion batteries out there like xxxfire, Tenergy, etc. I'm not talking about them.

question: Can the 16340 cell be charged to the normal 4.2V and used in the Kaon and Xeo? I can easily charge to 3.6V if necessary.

You can use any lithium ion 16340 battery in the Xen/Kaon/Xeo/Lynx. However, the Xen/Kaon/Xeo/Lynx software assume the battery will discharge to 2.90V. If you use an off the shelf protected 16340 battery the protection circuit will cut out around 3.4 - 3.5V. This means the battery meter *may* turn yellow and the unit will shut off without the meter ever turning red. The AW ICR16340 is a pretty good battery. OK to use if you accept the battery meter will never turn red.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I'm really glad to hear that these computers can run on the more popular rechargeable 16340 Li-ion batteries. Sounds like the preference is for non-protected cells.

Well that was a deal breaker for me cause I just did an online purchase for the Kaon from DGE. Thx for the quick response.

Back
Top Bottom