X1 Quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomad-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased a Liquivision X1 and after 14 months, one of the two sensors malfunctioned. It didn’t just die – it would misrepresent the depth and the X1 would ‘go for a 3m dive’ while sitting on my coffee table.

The advice received was to lock off the offending sensor and continue. There is no need to worry about diving on a single sensor in that unit “as the sensors are so reliable”.

My experience with a sensor failing after 14 months doesn’t match this view, and doesn’t give me confidence that the other one will remain robust and trustworthy!

The local agent offered me a new unit at a discounted price (but it would still be more than I would have to pay for a full-price Shearwater Petrel – which comes with a 2 year warranty). It appears there is no repair option for the potted X1 and 2 months out of a 12 month warranty, it becomes a very expensive bottom timer.

2 months out of warranty and no help, doesn’t seem to me to be reflective of the reputation of high service either

Liquivision – any plans to increase the ‘repairability’ of the X1 in future please ? (or, given the fact it is potted, increase the warranty to reflect the ‘disposable’ nature of the units)

if ur predator or petrel had dies out of warranty SW would prob have just fixed for u for free. guess liquivison is the same now as early x1 avalanche of problems: take money, hide behind warranty, tell customers to pay more more more.

maybe lock sensor, sell as-is on ebay, buy new petrel and not look back?

We can recalibrate the X1 and possibly restore the drifting sensor. Equally well you can continue to use the unit while locking on the other sensor. Personally I think you should be extremely grateful that you have a computer that is still usable; sensors fail on other computers (often) and had this been any other computer you would be unable to use it at all until it was either replaced, repaired, or if out of warranty, purchased another one. Of thousands and thousands of dual sensor X1's in use, only a single unit ever had both sensors fail. That is dramatically better than single-sensor computers.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Did you happen to buy it using a credit card? I know that my visa adds another year to warranties. I have used it many times for things ranging from dishwasher repairs to getting a couch recovered.

All I had to do was submit a claim with visa that includes a statement from the manufacturer that it would have been covered if had occurred within the warranty period.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Eric, thank you for the reply.

I'm astonished by the comment that I should be "extremely grateful" to have my faulty computer. I guess you and I have different perspectives, as I don't share that view.

Unfortunately though, you didn't answer my questions :
1. Are there any plans to increase the repairability of the unit ?
Faults happen - it's inevitable. One doesn't throw out a car when it gets a flat tire. My disappointment is that my faulty sensor cannot be repaired. I'd be more than happy to pay a reasonable sum to repair it. Being offered a discounted rate of $900 to buy a new one is not a reasonable sum though. Shearwater offer very flexible terms on sensor failures outside of warranty, but even if I did have to pay for the repair - it's still better than buying a new one.

2. Given the lack of repairability, are there any plans to increase the warranty as a result?
Your competitor (with a repairable unit) offers a 2 year warranty (and even that can stretch, based on their focus on customer service). You offer a 1 year warranty, and a failure just 2 months out of that warranty meets with a brick wall.

I look forward to your thoughts

Thanks WW - unfortunately I didn't buy it using a credit card (but thanks for the suggestion)

Hi Eric, thank you for the reply.

I'm astonished by the comment that I should be "extremely grateful" to have my faulty computer. I guess you and I have different perspectives, as I don't share that view.

Unfortunately though, you didn't answer my questions :
1. Are there any plans to increase the repairability of the unit ?
Faults happen - it's inevitable. One doesn't throw out a car when it gets a flat tire. My disappointment is that my faulty sensor cannot be repaired. I'd be more than happy to pay a reasonable sum to repair it. Being offered a discounted rate of $900 to buy a new one is not a reasonable sum though. Shearwater offer very flexible terms on sensor failures outside of warranty, but even if I did have to pay for the repair - it's still better than buying a new one.

2. Given the lack of repairability, are there any plans to increase the warranty as a result?
Your competitor (with a repairable unit) offers a 2 year warranty (and even that can stretch, based on their focus on customer service). You offer a 1 year warranty, and a failure just 2 months out of that warranty meets with a brick wall.

I look forward to your thoughts

Thanks WW - unfortunately I didn't buy it using a credit card (but thanks for the suggestion)

Your unit is likely repairable as I already mentioned. We can recalibrate the drifting sensor. The X1 is the longest standing technical dive computer on the market (2007). Tech divers like diving proven computer designs. As such we have no plans to change the design of the X1, as this would scare away a great deal of the market. Divers who prefer a different design can go with the Xeo trimix computer.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

X1 is discontinued fwiw. I had a 7 month old unit do the same thing. (2013) Problem was solved by the dealer. Coulda shoulda.....

Not sure where you got the info that the X1 is discontinued. It is still listed on their site and was displayed at their booth at BTS a few months ago. If it has been discontinued, that is news to me. The company was recently bought by Huish Outdoors, so I guess changes can be expected.

Back
Top Bottom