Have the issues with the LYNX been resolved?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triode12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have all of the battery and transmitter issues been resolved for the Lynx units?

I am tossing up between the new Aeris A300CS and the Lynx but from what I have read, both units still have ongoing issues with AI and battery life.

Im in this same boat too at the moment. Both computers seem to have not yet sorted all the issues with their new technology on the market. Its a tough decision and i'd love to hear some input on this.

Ive had one dead transmitter which was replaced, even though they said there was nothing wrong with it. It didnt turn on and start making the ultrasonic chirping sounds that are easy to hear. Didnt link to my computer. Worked for around 15 dives and then stopped.

They also have about a 3 dive limit to the white rechargeable battery before they go yellow on the display. And yes i have set both the transmitter and computer to the correct white battery profile in the computer and yes i do purge both my first stages after each dive to deactivate the transmitter and stop it draining the battery.

Ive also turned the brightness down to its minimum.

Im not writing this as a complaint but in the hope liquivision reads this and tries to improve this in the future.

The compass is almost useless, there is no way of setting a bearing.

There is no user activated stopwatch to time stops that are not recommended by the computer, in case your trying to be more conservative. It does have an elapsed total timer so you can use that i guess.

I have been very pleased with my LYNX, I really wish the battery life was better but I still love it, the lake I dive in most of the time can have near zero visibility and I can clearly see my computer. I am not a fan of the compass but I have not seen a digital compass I liked very much yet and I'm not sure why, they should be the best, no guessing on heading but...
I was and still am a little concerned with the battery tray and wiring but I have a couple hundred dives on mine with a lot of battery changes and all is still OK. For the record I use the rechargeable batteries and get 5 or six dives on them over a weekend or couple of weekends, I will be taking it to Bonaire in January where I make 5 to 6 dives a day and then I will know for sure. As far as support goes, I have not had any real issues with mine but I have ask several questions and they have been great to deal with. Hope this helps.

No compass love here, which is incredible frustrating. Just had a low vis night dive on Monday and was once again confronted with terrible compass design on the Lynx. Especially glaring compared to the cobalt/2 or xDeep black.
It's not that I don't know how it works, it's that the process sucks, it is unreliable, counter intuitive and can require a dozen tap try/fails with drysuit gloves in and out, which is a lot to check your bearing while your buddy fins off. Or you live with a compass on and tiny ass fonts. Bah, I hate ui design that assumes 20/20 vision for everyone.
No bearing marking? or hey you know some take a surface heading from shore... To set a reciprocal course...? Nothing usefully is found here, it's like the compass was designed by a non diver and the code randomly dropped in.
Until we can easily toggle in out of the compass without needing to thread menus, and enjoy at least basic analog class function it's a wasted feature check mark and not usable for diving IMO.

Compare the function to cobalt 3d look, one press on or off or mark if on. Compare to the xDeep black, multiple point tracking and time tracking... You might almost think it was a computer *gasp* compass.
Honestly I feel the LV dev team is totally sitting on their ass IMO. this is all software and ui tweaks and they have not had a meaningful non bug fix update since release (accept nitch side mount support).
Color me a disappointed consumer at this stage. I could have sold 20 of these to our club, but when asked what I really think, and what is the release quality and update support? I have to tell folks to pass again and again.

It's been over a year and nothing interesting has come the way of Lynx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As much as I dislike opening and closing the sealed battery compartment on a dive computer to be used at depth, I can hardly imagine knowingly buying a dive computer that required the battery to be extracted and replaced every 6 dives (or thereabouts). Even if I never flooded it, it'd be a tedious repetitive aggravation and an ongoing anxiety.

If LiquiVision is listening, I'd like one that has a 'plug the unit in' recharging option like the Cobalt, where it is not necessary to open the unit to recharge the battery. Even then, 6 dives/charge seems ridiculous to me, especially since I'd think that over time the rechargeable battery would lose some of its effectiveness. But I'd be more inclined to make do with it than if I had to open the thing up.

Now, that would make a decent ScubaBoard poll; what's the minimum # of dives/battery (charge) that would make you pass on buying an otherwise fine dive computer that would have met your needs?

Richard.

As much as I dislike opening and closing the sealed battery compartment on a dive computer to be used at depth, I can hardly imagine knowingly buying a dive computer that required the battery to be extracted and replaced every 6 dives (or thereabouts). Even if I never flooded it, it'd be a tedious repetitive aggravation and an ongoing anxiety.

If LiquiVision is listening, I'd like one that has a 'plug the unit in' recharging option like the Cobalt, where it is not necessary to open the unit to recharge the battery. Even then, 6 dives/charge seems ridiculous to me, especially since I'd think that over time the rechargeable battery would lose some of its effectiveness. But I'd be more inclined to make do with it than if I had to open the thing up.

Now, that would make a decent ScubaBoard poll; what's the minimum # of dives/battery (charge) that would make you pass on buying an otherwise fine dive computer that would have met your needs?

Richard.

Yes, changing it every couple dives is all of those things. Also the design is clearly not made to sustain that kind of usage. But the alternative of $30 dollar batteries that get chewed up fast is even worse IMO. Honestly though the whole battery tray design is just epic design fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I am now leaning towards getting a Petrel and be done with it. Looks like getting an AI DC that is reliable, trouble free and not conservative (Suunto Ion) is impossible (for now).

Back
Top Bottom