Lynx - the love is back (mostly)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctock993

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A Lynx updated evaluation.

I just got back from 2 weeks in Lembeh Strait - doing macro and super-macro photography.
About a week prior to leaving, I performed the latest update for my Lynx computer.
With correct setting of battery types for both wrist computer and T1 transmitter I had NO issues with either units for 3x 60-100min of <90ft/30m diving per day.
The main screen remains extremely easy to view, and provided all the info I needed/ wanted in a very clear to interpret manner.

That said, the rechargeable batteries (LFP123A) in both units became another item to pull out, maintain o-rings, and charge every night.
I fortunately brought a non-rechargeable (ER 17335M) I was able to use temporarily, as I discovered on the second day that the rechargeable battery in the computer did not last past 4 dives (~300min).

As I already have a daily swap of camera battery and memory card, along with strobe battery swap, it was not a huge deal for me to add the Liquivision batteries to the maintenance routine.
That said, prior to my next dive trip, I'm going to definitely get another set of 2 batteries so a complete swap can be done each day. It was a huge pain every morning to chase after my reg from the eager dive boat captains to replace the freshly charged battery - and as experience has taught, haste often makes flooding electronics more likely.

Also, I admit, as other's have described, concern over the potential longevity of the battery tray, and the added risk to both pieces with daily opening and required o-ring confirmation and maintenance.

4 Dives/battery charge with a battery you have to take out & put back in every time. Not good. Suggestion for the Lynx 2; either make it larger to accommodate a much more powerful battery, or make it like the Cobalt (console), where you can plug it in to recharge without opening the battery case.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom