what to pack for liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going on my 1st liveaboard trip this spring. As far as packing goes, what should you bring on the boat. For those of you who have done this, were there some things you didn't bring that you wish you had, or are there things you took that you wish you didn't? What about linens or a sleeping bag? How about towels? Etc

What liveaboard?

Generally linens, towels etc. are provided. Collapsible luggage is probably a good idea since storage space is limited on most boats. On my last liveaboard trip I took way too many clothes, it's really casual onboard. And if you're doing 3-4 dives per day you don't change much except for maybe for dinner.

A couple of threads about packing for a liveaboard:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=166906
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=145957

Also we have a forum for cruise trips and liveaboards so you might want to read through some of the threads for the liveaboard you're considering.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=207

depends on where you are going. For my liveaboards I take multiple bicycle shorts for wearing under my wetsuit, multiple pairs of shorts, a T-shirt for every day plus half that number as extra, deck shoes/sandals/crocs or something for wearing when not diving. hat or hats, plenty of sunscreen. Toiletries. No need to get dolled up, you are diving 3-4 times a day. Most liveaboards provide a suggested packing list - contact the base company for one.

Take 2 wetsuits if you have them. Last liveaboard I did ( Cat Ppalu in the Bahamas), we were doing 5 dives a day. Getting into a wet wetsuit, particularly on the night dive was cold and zaps your core temp. Having 2, even if one's a shorty, allows one to dry while you use the other.
I'd also bring fleece (pullover and sweatpants) to put on after your dive to warm up in, some raingear, and a wide brimmed hat for getting out of the sun.
Enjoy your trip, I love liveaboards,
C-Dawg

Also bring at least 2 if not 3 or 4 bathing suits. You're always going to want at least 1 dry one with multiple diving. Usually dress on the boat is extremely casual, I lived in my bathing suits, shorts and tops. The only other thing is don't forget your teddy bear so you have a friend to cuddle up with at night.

I have done several liveaboards. Pack several bathing suits. Dont overpack!! Its easy to do. I usually only take a couple pairs of shorts and a couple tops....since you are in your bathing suit most the day you wear your clothes very little.

I dont know if you are going someplace warm or questionable. If warm aside from a light jacket, one light wetsuit (if any), reading material for between dives and your personal items you dont need much else.

One neat thing to do, is in many of these third world countries bring items that you can leave with the crew (if you choose to do so). The crew usually does not have access to or cant afford things and really appreciate a tee shirt, bathing suit, whatever. When I was in PNG diving some of the passengers brought extra dive gear and left with the crew.

Have fun!!

2 sweatshirts. 1 to wear when you're dry. 1 to wear when you're wet.

Many boats have a "no shoe" policy, once onboard I always go barefoot for the week. As others have said think casual. At least 3 pairs of whatever you wear under your wetsuit and most boats want you wearing Dry shorts when inside so have 2-3 of inside shorts/swim trunks.

Though not prone to sea sickness I do take medication for that (like bonamin) before boarding. when the boat is moving and you're looking for ralph over the side means its too late.Take it before boarding.Especially if the westher looks spotty

Definitely check with your liveaboard company. Some of the more basic ones do require that you bring a sleeping bag and towel, others don't.

I agree with everyone else, bring at least 2 swimsuits, a couple of pairs of shorts, and 4-5 t-shirts. Depending on the time of year and location, you may need a sweatshirt (or 2). Don't worry about shoes unless you hate to go barefoot, then you might consider a cheap pair of flip flops at best. Pack extremely lightly, you won't need much clothing since you'll be in your swimsuit 90% of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom