What's Happening With the SS Thorfinn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjoeldm

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw this a while back:

SS Thorfinn dive boat aground in Pohnpei :: Wetpixel.com

. . . so I went to Capt Higgs' site and found this recent page:

SS Thorfinn Refit

Seems he managed to get it to the Philippines somehow and then managed to get some money to get it fixed. Anyone been following this? I really thought the Thorfinn was doomed when creditors were saying he couldn't leave without paying and that the charges, according to the Capt, were way beyond his resources.

I wonder if his creditors became convinced that the only way to ever get paid was to get him back into business. He might have some interesting new partners now?

Anyone know the details? I had an amazing week of diving there three years ago. He's a character as is his ship!

JoeL

Richie,

Underwater Journal is posting she'll return to service sometime this month. Even if he encounters some (more) minor delays, Lance should have his girl going in plenty of time for your trips.

http://www.underwaterjournal.com/issues/UWJ-issue7.pdf

Richie,

Underwater Journal is posting she'll return to service sometime this month. Even if he encounters some (more) minor delays, Lance should have his girl going in plenty of time for your trips.

http://www.underwaterjournal.com/issues/UWJ-issue7.pdf

Brian,
Thanks for the update...nothing like showing up to the dock and theres no boat! BTW I still have a spot or two open, care to join us?

We spent a week on the Thorfinn over the Christmas Holiday. Nothing but good things to say about the experience. The diving was great, the people on the boat fun, and Lance went out of his way to put on a great dinner for Christmas. We had a terrific time. Happy to recommend the Thorfinn.

We spent a week on the Thorfinn over the Christmas Holiday. Nothing but good things to say about the experience. The diving was great, the people on the boat fun, and Lance went out of his way to put on a great dinner for Christmas. We had a terrific time. Happy to recommend the Thorfinn.

I'm happy to hear Lance got his baby back in operation. :)

I'm here right now in Truk Lagoon, passing Thorfinn everyday on my way to the wreck divesites. IMO/IME, it's less expensive to stay with a land based dive op/hotel like the Truk Stop Hotel & Truk Lagoon Dive Center, than to be onboard the Thorfinn which is basically a floating hotel with servicing dive tender skiffs.

If you want a true liveaboard that travels to and stays on station over each divesite, and can afford the amenities --the Truk Odyssey is the way to go.

Just spent Christmas week aboard SS Thorfinn and I am happy to report she is back and better than ever! Everyone should experience Captain Lance with his story telling gifts and depth of knowledge regarding historical happenings in Truk Lagoon! His Chuukeese crew is fantastic and very helpful in every way. Thorfinn is the most mobile in the Lagoon in terms of getting to and from multiple dive sights/day. Compared to land based operations (2 dives/day) your option on Thorfinn is 5 dives/day!

J Compared to land based operations (2 dives/day) your option on Thorfinn is 5 dives/day!

I'm glad you enjoyed the Thornfin and I'm glad to hear it's doing well.

However ----

The Thornfin may be a great option for diving but it is certainly not the only way to get more than 2 dives a day. Both Truk Stop and Blue Lagoon offer 4 dives per day and both visit the exact same dive sites. The other liveaboard, the Odyssey, is much nicer and also visits the same dive sites. Doing 5 dives a day in Truk Lagoon is a bit iffy for many divers since many dives are in the 90 foot range or better.

I know the original post is old but I just wanted to keep the record accurate anyway.

Five dives a day can be tough but I think it is more of an energy thing than a bottom time thing. Most people are ready for a well deserved nap after 3 or 4 dives. I did 5 dives a couple of days on my Christmas trip and some days did less. I had fun each day and each dive and that is the important thing. As far as repetitive deep diving I guess it is all about how you do it. I have never felt limited. The trick is to plan the dives so that you enjoy yourself. On a technical note I will admit that my Scubapro computer seems to handle it better than the old Oceanic one.

There was a surprising amount of interesting diving at depths less than 100'. In fact there is a lot of great stuff less than 75'. I don't need to spend every dive in the bottom of the hold there are some amazing things all over the wreaks.

I have stayed at the Blue Lagoon for a couple of days as well. It was nice but it was a bit boring. There is not much to do there other than sit and look out at the lagoon. The people who were diving there seemed to be having a good time and the dive lockers by the boat dock looked ok. It was the bar scene that was lacking. Service does not seem to be a key part of any hotel in Micronesia that we visited.

Stay on land or stay on a live aboard. Either one works if it gets you to the wreaks at Truk Lagoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom