Antarctica as a dive trip....who's done it? Who wants to do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm the type of diver who has well over a dozen different destinations on his bucket list but one place in particular is unique enough that I've not met alot of divers who share the same drive to want to go there.....

Has anyone ever done any diving in Antarctica? I took marine ecology my senior year of college (back in my science days) and we spent half the semester on polar ecology. I thought it was fascinating! Ever since then I haven't stopped wanting to go to Antarctica. I haven't found much on SB in the way of good trip reports yet, can any of you shed some light on that? Or at least is there anyone out there who has or would like to do Antarctica? Is anyone starting to plan a trip? I'd love to ask that person some questions if possible....

Here is a link to The Elysium Antarctic Adventure which recently returned. It was a combination research and photo expedition featuring some of the worlds best U/W photographers and videographers.

You can read there blog and find out some info about the boat they used which is offering commercial trips. You better be prepared to do this one!:wink:

elysiumepic.org

I have been three times in Antarctica and two times for diving in Antarctica (March 2008 and February 2010).

I would love to do one, and already equipped for the most part. Wife, not so much, LOL (want to do it)

When I was in college, one of my professors dove Antarctica WET during the IGY in 1957. It intrigued me. Since I want to dive all seven continents before I kick the proverbial bucket, I'd like to go. However it is quite expensive.

One of my dive buddies dove it a few years ago. Her drysuit flooded on one of her dives. Fortunately the chase boat was right by her and got her back to the mother ship in time to thaw her out. She loved the trip.

A friend of mine was planning to do this trip about 5 years ago. He was excited about it and spend $$$ getting regulators and drysuit gear appropriate for those freezing temps, then he hesitated. He decided that there were so many other great places to go first and so he postponed the trip, then he postponed it again. Last time we discussed it he had decided to skip it. He has since gone into Tech diving full tilt and spending all his $$$ on that, flying around the world to different deep wrecks and also doing the cenote/caves in Yucatan. I doubt he will ever do the Antartica trip as he is enjoying all of those other places so much. :D

robin

I met a girl last year who said she was a support diver for the U.S. Antarctic scientific expedition. She talked about 800' visibility. That's pretty friggin' amazing.
Visibility in the Antarctic Peninsula is about 30 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom