WARNING! Dont use mask rinse buckets!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdoug1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Last dive charter I went on, everyone who used the mask rinse bucket ended up with conjunctivitis (pink eye). Use of a common mask rinse container can also be a vector for other pathogens. I usually rinse my mask after I enter the water. My wife rinses hers with a water bottle. It would really suck to be sick on your dive trip!

Last edited:
I can't agree more. Bring a spray bottle of water for doin that....can also use it to whet down the cam straps on BC...works great!... I'd rather urinate over the side into my mask before using a communial rinse bucket. Don't laugh...at least urine is sterile..LOL

I can't agree more. What really puts me off is when I see people either spit in their mask or apply detergent and then dunk the mask.:bash:

Although if I see that the bucket has just been filled with fresh sea water and I'm definitely the first user I may throw a little water with a cupped hand from the bucket into my mask. I figure the pathogens haven't had time to spread.
Otherwise if the platform is accessible I'll always prefer fresh sea water. In the worst case I'll prepare my mask, put it on, jump in and then rinse it.

I've always got bottled water with me to keep hydrated, and I just pour some of that into my mask for rinsing.

I never considered throwing my mask into a bucket of water that has rinsed everything under the sun including piss filled wet suits.

I'm surprised people need to be told this.

I mean, do some people routinely drink out of the toilet bowl because it looks clean and they're thirsty and it's right there?

They are nothing more than community snot buckets.... that everyone shares.

I don't think I've ever seen a boat actually clean a mask bucket out. drain and refill maybe, but that's it.

Back
Top Bottom