Advice re: Larger ships for scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I definitely want to take a "diving trip" in the Caribbean in the near future.

I'm not at all interested in the "zoo" cruise ships like Carnival (2,000+ passengers) though.

I was on Bonaire for 6 weeks in 2009 and the few big cruise ships that docked there offered "scuba diving" but I got the impression it's more like an afterthought after speaking to one of the Divemasters.

I am aware of the smaller ships (110 ft. or so) like Philip Hughes, Aggressor Fleet., Nekton etc., that typically carry 18-20 passengers. Those sound pretty good but I'm a big guy and would like more cabin space (and am willing to pay the single cabin "premium" )and other amenities.

There are other cruise lines like Seabourne, SilverSea and the like which seem to carry 600 or so passengers and are more upscale than the typical "zoo" ships. Not that I need anything too fancy nor do I want to be on a ship where you have to get dressed up for dinner but they sound like they would possibly be of interest to me if they offer scuba.

If anyone is familiar with such cruise lines or if you've done a trip on them I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,

Sy G.

Last edited:
you have to realize the difference (regardless of size) in a Liveaboard and a cruise.

the Cruise boats, you don't dive off of. you transfer to another contractor boat. Diving is not the primary function of the boat.

the Liveboards, you dive directly off of, and dive all day.

Figure out first what you want to do....

Sounds like you're ready for a Liveaboard. With as many dives as you have, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. I would suggest you check out Aquacat Cruises. They port out of Nassau which should be easy to get to from New York and their cabins are more spacious (with nice, big windows) than anyone else I've been on - including Explorer Ventures, Aggressor and Nekton. Downside is that they ARE pricier, but overall it IS a more upscale experience. The diving is in the calm waters of the Exuma Keys and they offer low-key land excursions that are included in the package. Heck, they'll even drop you off at your own private beach for the afternoon if you like -- sans SCUBA, of course. Pop their name into the search feature and you'll see the various reports and feedback. My only connection to them is that my non-diving wife keeps bugging me to go back.

they are called liveaboards - check out some of the websites, then do some searches on Trip Reports here on SB to get information on specifics.

Cruise ships you get off boat, tour, get back on boat and boat moves to another port. Tons of people, big fancy boat, dress up dinners, entertainment, etc.

Liveaboards you stay on boat, rarely touch land, only leave boat to dive for whole week, dress is limited to swimsuits and shorts for week and always barefoot, no entertainment other than watching movies in evenings after night dives. Some boats are fancier than others but none compare to cruise ships. It is a whole different experience.

Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984
Peter Hughes - Scuba Diving Live-Aboard Excellence
Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving
Scuba Diving Bahamas Liveaboard Aqua Cat Cruises
Dive Destinations - Liveaboard Scuba Diving in the Philippines and Palau
Naia liveaboard Fiji
Welcome Aboard the Truk Odyssey - Wreck diving in Truk Lagoon Micronesia
www.solmarV.com
http://www.oceanhunter.com/
http://underseahunter.com/
http://www.mikeball.com/

Cruise ships stop at touristy destinations
Liveaboards visit exotic destionations

robin:D

Hi Robin,

Thanks a ton for compiling that information.

I am looking at the AquaCat. If you went with them what was your opinion?

Regards,

Sy

they are called liveaboards - check out some of the websites, then do some searches on Trip Reports here on SB to get information on specifics.

Cruise ships you get off boat, tour, get back on boat and boat moves to another port. Tons of people, big fancy boat, dress up dinners, entertainment, etc.

Liveaboards you stay on boat, rarely touch land, only leave boat to dive for whole week, dress is limited to swimsuits and shorts for week and always barefoot, no entertainment other than watching movies in evenings after night dives. Some boats are fancier than others but none compare to cruise ships. It is a whole different experience.

Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984
Peter Hughes - Scuba Diving Live-Aboard Excellence
Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving
Scuba Diving Bahamas Liveaboard Aqua Cat Cruises
Dive Destinations - Liveaboard Scuba Diving in the Philippines and Palau
Naia liveaboard Fiji
Welcome Aboard the Truk Odyssey - Wreck diving in Truk Lagoon Micronesia
Socorro Liveaboard diving aboard Solmar V - Giant Mantas, Sharks and Humpback Whales at the Socorro Islands and Sea of Cortez
Scuba Diving with Palau's True Liveaboards Ocean Hunter
Scuba Diving Cocos Island Malpelo Liveaboard Cruises Costa Rica
Welcome | Cairns Expedition Dive Reef Coral Scuba Great Barrier Diving

Cruise ships stop at touristy destinations
Liveaboards visit exotic destionations

robin:D

I have not gone with them yet, but I am very impressed with their setup and the videos they had done which are posted on YouTube.
here is part 1:

the links to the other videos will be at the end.

You might want to look at Star Clippers. They operate three clippers, the Royal Clipper, Star Clipper & Star Flyer. The two Stars carry a maximum of 170 pax & the Royal, 220. They have their own dive masters on board & use the ships Zodiac's. They many times utilize a local guide to help with the dive sites. They do visit some nice, out of the way places. We have sailed with them in French Polynesia and also the Grenadines. This January we will be sailing the Pacific coast of Costa Rica & Panama. Their cruises are usually geared towards water activities. You won't get as much diving in as aboard a liveaboard, but you will be able to get one or two dives a day at each stop. They do bridge the gap between liveaboard & traditional cruises quite well.

Have pics & video from the trips in ou gallery link below:

MobileMe Gallery

Mike

A regular cruise ship is no substitute for a liveaboard. Some cruise ships may do a better job with the diving arrangements than others but it's just not the same thing at all.

I think there are some nice liveaboards in the Indo-Pacific with roomier cabins, but even boats with mostly typical cabins sometimes have 1-2 that are a good bit larger than others. To start with closer to home, a couple others come to mind that I've actually seen. The Master cabin on the Wind Dancer is quite large (though they've moved the boat to Cocos, don't know if that's where you want for your first.) The Sun Dancer II in Belize has the Owners cabin on the lower deck which is also pretty big.

Another ship that bridges the gap like the Star Clippers is the Paul Gauguin, but that's in French Polynesia. Holding only 300 passengers, it's much smaller than the typical cruiseship, yet offers spacious cabins, excellent dining (no dressier than "long pants required"), a pool, and Polynesian shows. However, like a liveaboard, there is a "dive deck" in the form of a fold-down marina that is deployed in port - you board the skiff from the back of the ship just like a liveaboard, and they have rinse showers, gear storage, etc. The main difference is that 1-2 dives a day is the norm, versus 4-5 per day on a true liveaboard. We booked every possible dive on our 11-day trip in July and only managed to make 5 (Rangiroa x 2, Nuku Hiva, Bora Bora, Moorea) after our night dive was canceled. On the other hand, on an 11-day liveaboard with 10 dive days, 35-40 dives is more typical.

Greg,

That actually sounds perfect to me but I get Jet Lag with a vengeance as well as being 6'2" as airlines keep shrinking the seating space.

I used to go to Taipei and Hong Kong on business and was always sleepy or disoriented. I've tried all the strategies but they don't work for me. It would take me a good 2 weeks to get my head together after returning home.

5-7 hours is my limit. I can get anywhere in the Caribbean and many spots in northern South America and certainly Central America in that time frame

Thanks for the feedback.

Sy

Another ship that bridges the gap like the Star Clippers is the Paul Gauguin, but that's in French Polynesia. Holding only 300 passengers, it's much smaller than the typical cruiseship, yet offers spacious cabins, excellent dining (no dressier than "long pants required"), a pool, and Polynesian shows. However, like a liveaboard, there is a "dive deck" in the form of a fold-down marina that is deployed in port - you board the skiff from the back of the ship just like a liveaboard, and they have rinse showers, gear storage, etc. The main difference is that 1-2 dives a day is the norm, versus 4-5 per day on a true liveaboard. We booked every possible dive on our 11-day trip in July and only managed to make 5 (Rangiroa x 2, Nuku Hiva, Bora Bora, Moorea) after our night dive was canceled. On the other hand, on an 11-day liveaboard with 10 dive days, 35-40 dives is more typical.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom