Need feedback on Cocos Island and the Aggressor Fleet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ridewhistler

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking about going to Cocos Island on the Aggressor Fleet in June and wanting some information from anyone that has done the trip. I am a single female traveling alone and wondering about the boat, crew, dive masters and the diving. Any words of wisdom would be helpful! Thank you!

Thank you so much! Love the Sea Below video!

If you go to a place like Youtube and do a search on Cocos Island you'll get all kinds of good videos to watch!

Can't vouch for the Cocos trip - but I can vouch for Aggressor! LOVE THEM - Been on 3 boats and doing Belize with them in Aug - great crew. I can't say enough about the crew we had on the Fiji boat in 07. Fabulous.

I agree with Kennedy,

Though there are a couple of boats like the Undersea Hunter boats that are said to be superior in the experience, I'd probably choose the Okeanos Aggressor, I don't mind riding in pangas and getting a little wet, and of course doing synchronized back role entries. On the off-shot there's a deal going on (which there often is) I'm planning 2011 to have the Palau Aggressor II in January and the Okeanos Aggressor in November - they often have specials for repeat customers in the same calendar year.

I feel a loyalty to that company, the Aggressor provides superior service, clean and functional boats, luxurious accomodations (though it doesn't take much to float my boat, I've worked on some dumpy ones in the past), and awesome food. I'm sure all the others do to, you probably wouldn't go wrong either way.

Last edited:
Was told of this thread and yes, I have scheduled a trip back to the Cocos for July 30-August 9th in 2011. It will be my 12th trip there and even though I have been to almost all the major dive spots around the world, a couple of them 2 or 3 times, there is nothing like the Cocos for diving with large pelagic marine animals. I never, ever get bored of diving there as I have always had something totally unexpected and exciting happen on the trips I've led there. I could go on and on and bore everyone's head off with all my Cocos stories.
It is important to know that the best times to go, and the only times I will go, is during their rainy season between June and late August/early Sept. This doesn't mean it is cloudy all the time, actually, usually its pretty sunny, however, sometimes when the rains come it comes in torrents that last 20 minutes before everything goes back to normal. It is the rain that brings the nutrients from the island to the water that then attracts the smaller fish who then attract the hundreds of hammer heads, thousands of white tips, many silver tips, silkys, galapogos and the occassional whale sharks. Also hundreds of marble rays, and plenty of spotted eagle rays which I love to film.
While my trip is still a year away, several spots have already been taken but plenty are still left if someone would like to join us. I will also be providing group and individual video shooting and editing lessons on board for those in need. I am one of the founders of the San Diego Under Sea Film Exhibition, have had productions on National Geographic, History, Disney SeaWorld and local channels and am the primary reviewer and writer for the Final Cut Pro based websites, Kenneth Stone and Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group. I am always learning something new but am also happy to help people when they want it. Editing and shooting are my passion.
Well, sorry this got so long winded but if anyone has any questions about the Cocos feel free to send me an email or go to my website, www.worldfilmsandtravel.com and I would be happy to advise or assist in any way I can whether you're on my trip or not.
Steve
ps. Thanks BDSC for posting the Vimeo of the Cocos Islands video...all the footage in that specific video was taken during only 1 trip there, in 2008

Last edited:
I went to Cocos in 2008 and am going back next year. The Okeanos Aggressor is a good boat with a good crew. Here's a short video I shot there: vimeo.com/7075148

Hi ridewhistler - sound advice from Steve about best time to go and if you can't wait to join his trip in 2011 - then we have a female share space on our Sea Hunter trip for July 12-22, 2010 which due to a late cancelation we can offer a generous discount on. I have visited Cocos several times since my first visit in 1988 on the Okeanos's inaugural trip and along with Galapagos it is my favorite destination for adventure diving and big animals. Okeanos is a good vessel but I generally use the Undersea Hunter fleet - Sea Hunter, Undersea Hunter and Argo - they may cost a little more but they do it so well that after trying them you may become addicted !! You can check out details and availability of all Cocos vessels on DiveAdvice.com

Back
Top Bottom