Philippines Siren June 10 - Info Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

i'm looking around for a last minute lob this June. A few of the UK operators are promoting Siren at competitive prices. It looks a superb boat, but in all honesty, i've never really considered the Philippines as a destination & so know virtually nothing about the diving.

The itinerary is the South Visayas trip.

This may be a great deal or, sometimes things are on offer for a reason eg wrong season, diving is better in other destination in the region (eg komodo) etc etc

If anyone has any helpful info on the diving in S Visayas in June, i would be really greatful to hear it.

Thanks

John

Hi Mantajohn - the Philippines Siren is a gorgeous boat and has a superb crew and the diving in Philippines is excellent but is a mix. Lots of macro, nice corals and colorful reef fish but not a huge amount of big stuff in that particular area. Tubatahas is better know for the whale sharks and that is happening in May. They do have a 10 night trip Jun 11-21 but I understand that is full. I think the special that you are refering to is Jun 22-Jul 2 @1560 euros which is a steal considering regular rate is 2400 euros and it includes everything on board, nitrox, dive gear, beers. Its not on offer for wrong season, it is a new boat and is getting it names out there and this special rate was offered at LIDS and in New Jersey as a special. They sold some spaces but still have a few more.

Komodo is also excellent at that time but I think you may find it hard to get the same value.

Lots of other options in June if you care to look at my website but I would not have a problem recommending the Philippine Siren. Cheers, Dom

I will be on the Philippines Siren the third week of August - first time. Very excited about the trip. All the people have been reat to communicate with. There are a few trip reports on their websites

NAIBdiver1

Thanks both for your replies. Dom you have a great website - i might become a customer next time!

I've decided to go for Komodo Dancer instead. A little more expensive but seemed to be a good package.

i'll post a trip report when i get back

John

Thanks John - they do an outstanding job and you'l love Komodo. As I just advised on another forum, make sure that you bring a good wetsuit as although the water temps in the north of Komodo may hover around 83F (28C), or more, when you go south to Rinca and Horseshoe Bay, the water temps can drop to low 70's (21C) or cooler. 5mm is recommended and a vest with attached hood to keep you toasty warm. Of course boots and gloves. You'll have a ball.

Dom,

I'll be on the Philippines Siren the third week of August - will a lycra and 3mm shorty be enough ?

NAIBdiver1

3rd week in August it looks like the water temp will be 29C - v comfortable for 3mm.

Have a great trip

John

Hi Naib, Philippines is always warm and 3mm and lycra should eb plenty. The boat does have 3mm shorties on board but I always dive in a full suit to avoid sunburn and coral cuts - the lycra will be perfect. While you are there, sounds like john will be in the chilly waters of S.Komodo. Two truly worldclass dive areas but quite different - will look forward to your feedback. Best, Dom

I highly agree with Dom. The SY Philippine Siren and all the Siren fleet are superb! Naib enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom