Socorro Island Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Augustus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
It seems that there will be upto 6 liveaboards going out to the Socorro Island group next year. The Agreessor is starting to dive it. The Solmar V, Nautilus Explorerer, and Sea Escape have been going there for quite a few years. I also heard possibly two more boats as well. Anybody have any ideas if the various operators are going to coordinate their trips. Three boats at Roca Partida or the Boiler just is not fun sounding.

that was one of the two i did not name. Wasn't sure what is was called.

If the operators can't get their act together (and I'd expect them not to do so), I'd expect the Mexican Government to step in and limit the days/boats at the islands a la Wolf & Darwin. This would not be a good thing.

Do we know if any of the new boats are going to do Guadalupe as well??

Edit: Just checked Aggressor. They will do Guad plus Magdelena Bay as well.

Hey guys, Dan Dayneswood from Nautilus Explorer here. Socorro and Guadalupe are such incredible places with such fantastic pelagic diving we are not surprised that more operators are looking to set up shop in the area. We have had a very good working relationship amongst the "original three" with clear communication lines, owners to owners and crew to crew. This has allowed us to operate safely, and unhindered by each other or the Mexican government. We have cooperated and acted out of a mutual respect for each other, sharing the islands and their beauty, not trying to lay claim to something that is not ours.

We are concerned, as you are, that the future of diving in Socorro will be seriously threatened if this cooperative relationship breaks down with the new liveaboards starting up in the region. You can bet that we will fight "tooth and nail" to preserve the unique nature of diving at Socorro. We will happily cooperate with the new boats as long they are respectful of what we have worked so hard in partnership with the Solmar V to protect. We have had encouraging discussions with mexican authorities over the last 2 years to put a quota system in place limiting the number of divers in the islands at any one time to 2 boats diving San Benedicto or Roca Partida. That way the new boats can have a fair shake to fill the unused gaps in the schedule without putting any pressure on the dive sites.

The best thing you can do to help? Ask questions. If you want to book a trip on a liveaboard and are comparing boats, find out which boat has the most experienced and eco-sensitive divemasters and guides. Who knows best how to dive the different sites for maximum animal interaction and least negative impact to to the ecosystem? Which boats are actively contributing to conservation and looking at the big picture, not just their quarterly reports?

Everyone has an opportunity to keep Socorro a lasting and protected biosphere to be enjoyed for years to come. The question is, who is stepping up to the plate?

In the meantime, would anyone like to hear about some of our great specials coming up? California Channel Islands: All inclusive for 1095.00 including all taxes and fees!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom