Blackbeard liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StuartScuba

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good Morning, Just short and simple: What has been anyone's experience with Blackbeard liveaboards? The Aqua Cat is out of my league and the Juliet and Spree is already booked up. I see a 900.00 for Blackbeard but what is the downside of that fantastic price?

Blackbeards is an awesome liveaboard! The downside? You're not on a cruise ship with large, lavish private cabins. I personaly don't need that to dive.

The truth is, you only use the bunk to sleep in. 16-18 hours a day you are topside or diving. Many people describe the Blackbeard ships as "camping at sea". You have 2 cabins with 5 or 6 bunks per cabin. You have a privacy screen, but the bunks are all in a common opening. There is unlimited showering with a wash hose on deck, or limited showering with freshwater in the head.

The chef on the ship I was on (Pirates Lady) was awesome, and there was never a shortage of food. The Capt (Pancho) was great and our DM was great too.

I know you didnt ask, but I will suggest bringing your snorkle. I only mention this becuase I never dive with one, but you could have immpromptu chance to swim with dolphins, or collect conch for dinner.

A search on that topic will reveal many trip reports here on Scubaboard :)

It's a good trip for the price but it's more along the lines of camping on the water. No privacy and no nitrox but good diving and decent food are the order of the week.

The Aqua Cat is out of my league and the Juliet and Spree is already booked up.
fwiw, Explorer Ventures is offering $500 off their Southern Bahamas itinerary on their June 26th-July 3rd. trip. Minus the discount that's $1395 plus $85 port fees. Shared room (2) and ensuite bath.

details here: Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving

Last edited:
I see a 900.00 for Blackbeard but what is the downside of that fantastic price?

besides the other comments, you have to travel to Freeport Bahamas now instead of getting on the boat in Miami.

some other liveaboards were mentioned, so I'll reccommend the Ultimate Getaway. larger boat, you get more dives in per day, Nitrox is available. departs from Ft Myers and priced similar to the Blackbeards.

bunks is "open bunking with curtains" similar to Blackbeards and M/V Spree, but as someone else said, the only time you're in your bunk is while you are sleeping. wasn't an issue for me.

The Aqua Cat is at the top range while Blackbeard is at the low end. In the middle is the Cat Palau. We did the Cat Palau and loved it. I think I'd love all of those boats. Blackbeard is more crowded than most boats but you'll have a blast.

OH yeah. almost forgot.... Blackbeards has beer on tap on the deck, and gallons of rum-punch everynight. Along with a lot of wine and liquor at your disposal. All included, gratis. Makes a nice way to end the diving day!

Blackbeard's is all about the diving and not for the high-maintenance type person. I've been on 2 trips with them and ready to go again.

Food was wholesome, plentiful, delicious and cooked up fresh every meal. Between meal snacks were also offered.

Dive gear is assembled and remains on deck. Dive accessories are stowed on deck. Everything else goes in your bunk. The bunks have curtains for privacy and is your own little nook.

It's a good value for your money.

The diving is the same if you're on the Aqua Cat or Blackbeards. Same dive sites. Do what you can afford and have a blast.

I'll echo what everyone has said here. I went on two trips. On the second I met a few people I still keep up with and dive with occasionally. Two of them have or are going back for their 2nd trips.

But if you want private time away from other people or are not an easy going person, I'd advise skipping the trip. If that doesn't apply to you, you will have a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom