Kona Aggressor questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So those of you that have done the KA, a few questions about the first day and last day.

Did you arrive a day early and stay at local hotel? I know when we went to Kona several years ago (land-based trip) we arrived mid-afternoon and saw an Aggressor crew member picking up some people. I wondered what we would do if some of our bags didn't show up, or got delayed... arriving a day early might help that issue.

How did you handle the last day since checkout is at 8am from boat, but most flights back to LAX leave around 11pm? I am thinking a day room on last day is the way to go... did a group rent one room at a hotel to stash all the luggage? Or did you stay locally a few days and tour the volcanoes, rainforest, etc? We were land-based last trip and only spent one day trying to do all the topside stuff, wish we had spent several days extra doing just that.

I really enjoyed Kona topside, but I was annoyed at only getting in 2 dives per day. It also took most of the day to do those 2 dives. So we have been thinking that if we go back to Hawaii it would have to be on the KA, that way we can dive dive dive! Still thinking about it, not sure yet...

robin:D

Book a non stop to Kona from the main land. If you have a lay over on one of the other islands, the chances are good that not all or even any of your luggage will be on the same flight you were. For the last day, ask any of the other passengers if they would like to share a day room at the King Kam., it's right at the end of the pier. Ask for Erin to book the room at company rate, she'll probably need a credit card to hold the room. I personally would take at least a couple of days to tour the island. I'd want to see the observatory, volcano, Southpoint, Hilo side valleys and horse back ride the Parker ranch. Throw in a snork./ kayak tour out at Capt. Cook.

I second taking at least a few days to do land stuff, lots to do on the Big Island.

The King Kam is very convenient to where the Aggressor docks, but if staying longer than a day I'd be inclined to stay someplace nicer up the coast somewhere.

Robin,
My wife and I are booked on the 14-21 August trip. On most live aboard trips we come in the day before and stay in a hotel. In this case we will be arriving late afternoon on the 12th. We also usually check off the boat on the afternoon it arrives back in port with late check out arrangements at the hotel. We are staying at the King Kam coming and going. Probably isn't a big deal in Hawaii but it sure works out in Belize.

thanks everybody... I think if we do this trip, we will arrive the day before and then stay a few extra days so we can do more island exploring. I really love hiking and Volcanos Nat'l park was fun for us last time, but we only spent 1/2 day there. I would love to spend a full day there, then a full day visiting the waterfalls over on other side of island for a full day. (last time we packed in a 1/2 day at volcanos and 1/2 day at waterfalls before driving back to Kona... long day!!)

we haven't decided for sure about this trip, we are debating a land-based trip to Fiji vs Kona liveaboard. They are working out to be about the same price - more diving in Kona though. Very different diving, too... so I am torn. We've never been to Fiji so we may opt to go there.

At list rates- I think the Nai'a works out to be less than $400 more than the KA (and I think a few more dives)...
I was working through the same questions a couple months ago, and just couldn't get past how great Fiji looks, compared to how good HI looks/was for me.
I'm Fiji bound in 3 weeks :D

Robin, I love diving Kona and I love the freedom of doing what I want so the thought of being that close to Hawaii and being stuck on a boat does not interest me in the slightest. Our next Hawaii trip will definitely be back to Kauai. All of the shore diving we want within minutes of our condo plus a few trips out to Nihau will make for one nice vacation.

That said, everyone I have spoken to about the KA had nothing but great praise for the diving and the crew.

At list rates- I think the Nai'a works out to be less than $400 more than the KA (and I think a few more dives)...
I was working through the same questions a couple months ago, and just couldn't get past how great Fiji looks, compared to how good HI looks/was for me.
I'm Fiji bound in 3 weeks :D

well, I do expect a trip report from you when you get back! :wink:

Yes, maybe for 1 person it works out to $400 for the Naia,but we have 2 people so double that, plus airfare is double, and travel time is double. So it works out to about $2000 more total for us.

Dave - I understand some people have no desire to do a liveaboard, but I personally love being on a boat. I really love it. We haven't been on a liveaboard in past 2 yrs and I am missing it.

well, I do expect a trip report from you when you get back! :wink:

Yes, maybe for 1 person it works out to $400 for the Naia,but we have 2 people so double that, plus airfare is double, and travel time is double. So it works out to about $2000 more total for us.

Dave - I understand some people have no desire to do a liveaboard, but I personally love being on a boat. I really love it. We haven't been on a liveaboard in past 2 yrs and I am missing it.

I'm going to take as many pictures wet & dry as possible, and I will be writing a report (on the plane?).

On the $$- you're just not trying hard enough to convince yourself! If you're really considering it, I would contact Joeli at Nai'a, and try to work a deal :cool2: Space still available on 6/26!

Like you, I understand some peoples lack of interest in a LA- heck I was in the quad-room with 3 strangers* on the T&C Aggressor which was "challenging" at times. However, the total focus on diving with no "decisions" to make, or shoes to wear for a week was so worth it! *Won't be doing that again, though.

Good luck with your planning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom