Rocio Del Mar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This liveaboard looks interesting, but I am curious about a couple of issues from anyone who has first hand experience with the boat.

1) If you took the van from Phoenix to the boat, were there any border crossing or other issues?

2) Visibility and current at the dive sites?

3) In general, are the zodiac rides to the dive sites short or long? (seasick issues)

4) Was the crew friendly and helpful?

Thanks for any input you can offer

hey jcr i havent did this liveaboard yet but last week i was at bonne terra mines and i was talking to a couple of the instructor about the roxio del mar they were telling me about there trip and they both said it was the best liveaboard they have ever did. i going to try and do this liveaboard next year.

I have only heard some indirect assessments of the boat and dive operation and all have been positive. Good luck on your trip!

Hi, I have been on the Rocio Del Mar twice now. Here are some answers to your questions.

1) If you took the van from Phoenix to the boat, were there any border crossing or other issues?

None. Just remember your passport. Getting into Mexico is very easy and from the border to the boat is only 65 miles. On the way back, the earlier you get to the border, the less you have to wait to get across. Normally, the boat is @ the dock by 8:00 am on the return Saturday. Load the van and go! I bet that if you are @ the border by 10:00 am, you wait would be no more than 30 minutes to get across.

2) Visibility and current at the dive sites?

This always depends on the time of year you go. However, I have always had at least 50 feet of visibility. As for the currents, this is not an issue as the zodiacs are actually chase boats and will pick you up once you get to the surface. If there is current, welcome to drift diving at its best!

3) In general, are the zodiac rides to the dive sites short or long? (seasick issues)

They are normally short and the areas that the boat anchor in are normally like glass.

4) Was the crew friendly and helpful?

They are fantastic. The food is excellent and it is a very relaxing trip. I have loved my last 2 trips on the boat that I am going again in September.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Mark

thanks for the info! we are looking at going on that boat next spring to the soccoro islands

Hi JCR,
I am the owner of Rocio Del Mar. Please feel free to call or email directly with any questions you might have about our charters.

Mark, thanks again for the compliments and see you again soon.

Drasher, we certainly had a great trip last year with the folks from Bonne Terre Mines and Scubaboard's own Netdoc. You can read about it here: www.theblogfromtheseaofcortez.com.

Donnad, I'm looking forward to meeting you. I'm very excited about our trips to the Soccoro Islands.

Back
Top Bottom