Liveaboard Nitrox surcharges - Time for this to go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gang,

These Nitrox surcharges on liveaboards really need to go. I was on the T&C Aggressor last week and we had 17 divers. 16 Nitrox, one Air. That's $1600 total from us and there is NO way it costs $1600/week to run a stick filler. I understood these charges 10 years ago when 3 out of 17 divers were on Nitrox but that has changed drastically. They should be charging the AIR diver to maintain the seldom used air bank...

-Charles

Agreed, BUT. It is a way for some liveaboard operators to raise prices without raising the price. Kinda like your airline baggage fee....

While I am not a fan of the fuel surcharge, as that is part and parcel to the business, I don't have a problem with the Nitrox charges on a liveaboard. What is the difference between paying for Nitrox on the boat or getting a Nitrox fill at the LDS? Same, same in my book.

Never been on a live-aboard but I have read the owner's of some operations give the crew a big cut of nitrox proceeds in order to increase the probability of keeping the system up and running. I guess you can consider these sums into the crew's tip upon disembarking...:)

as long as you know what the rates are in advance I don't see the problem. They can choose to charge and market however they want, and you can choose to take the trip or not. All that matters is the bottom line and if you're happy with it. If you decide not to take a trip because they charge for Nitrox, tell them. If you decide to take a trip because of a good deal on Nitrox, tell them.

The Liveaboards I dive charge $150 for the week, meaning 5 days real diving, thats $30 a day. Most do 5 dives a day so that's 6 dollars a tank. Seems like a good deal to me.

Every Aggressor I've been on uses membrane for nitrox. That's a hefty initial cost to defray, as well as maintenance.

I agree I'd just as soon have a package price without the "gotcha" costs.

All the best, James

I guess I have mixed feeling on this subject. Given that there is a large portion of dives where Nitrox is not a benefit even when doing 4 dives a day then why pay for it? Further many divers are not Nitrox certified. On the other hand fees for this and fees for that are annoying.

That said with the fluctuating fuel prices I can see why operators have fuel surcharges. But they make sense only if they adjust them accordingly in good faith. I am not sure whether it is done or not. My gut feeling is that they set them and forget about them ...

Every Aggressor I've been on uses membrane for nitrox

Not the one in T&C. It's a stick filler. I did a tour of the engine and compressor rooms.

Given that there is a large portion of dives where Nitrox is not a benefit even when doing 4 dives a day

Where would that be?

Meh, air shouldn't even be an option on a liveaboard.

Totally agree. I believe that in a few more years air is going to mostly "go away" as a recreational dive gas. Nitrox just makes so many things easier.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom