Pic's from my Nai'a trip in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSR-3

Contributor
Reaction score
Here are a few pic's from a great trip on the Nai'a. Sam & Brigitte were excellent hosts, and the diving was great! For me, it was multiple "best dives ever". One that will stand out for all of the group who opted to not go to "Kansas" (they did see the pygmy sea horses, though...), was when we hit the afternoon tide change/dinner time. That one dive included among many other fish- gray reef and whitetip sharks, large schools of barracuda and jacks, small schools of tuna and hammerheads, and a whale shark! I only caught a glimse of what I later learned was the whale shark, as I was diving down to see the hammerheads! The rest of the group was right there with it. I have never seen a more pumped-up group of divers than after that dive. 'great to hear the same exact comments from 2 divers- one with a full French accent "It was a f*!#ing whale-shaark!" Reportedly only the 2nd sighting from the Nai'a in 17 years.
Great trip.

Nia Fiji, June 2010

Last edited:
Stunning photos - 52 is one of my favorites. What type of camera did you use? Any tips for newbie underwater photographers?

Thanks for the compliments.
All wet pic's were with a Canon A720IS & S&S YS90TTL strobe. Pic's of my cheesy-but-functional setup here. Dry pic's were with a Panasonic Lumix. I'm a long-term novice, so not many suggestions other than the usual get as close as you can, then closer, and take more than 1 or 2 shots of anything possible. I find myself thinking "why didn't I take more pictures of that thing?", esp. when A-focus screws up. Also, get very familiar with shooting in different/manual modes of your camera, and try them. This trip I took well over a thousand total, and a little video as well. I've seen a number of things I should have stayed with longer.

I'll try to write a more detailed report when time permits.
The boat was pretty nice, I don't know the dive count (21?) off hand, but there was one day that we only did 2 dives (compressor prob), but had great snorkeling. Weather & sea: perfect for all but 1 day where it was blowing rain a bit. 5mm full was great for me. Night's on deck: great. Food: good. Diving: slightly lazy schedule (passengers, not crew) usually a short briefing on 2 sites. 1 skiff to each site, then swap for the next dive. 2 to 8? min skiff rides. ~112ft max, mostly 75ft and above. Crew & hosts: awesome.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom