Bahama's in Dec/Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soulstice

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I were looking at doing a live-aboard in the Bahamas at the end of December begining of January. We have never dove the Bahamas and it looks like it will be a great way to see a lot of different islands. How is the weather in Dec/Jan. Obviously we know it is their winter but the air/water tempertcure looks good especially compared to the almost year round diving we do in New England. How is the rest of the weather at this time of year? Is this a good time to do a live-aboard dive trip in the Bahamas? Any one have any first hand experience at this time of year diving the Bahamas?

Jay

I have not done the live aboard, but the weather is variable depending on the fronts moving through. We spent Dec and Jan in Marsh Harbor and a front would move through every 10-14 days and we would get several days of cooler windier weather. Cool enough for long sleeves and jackets in the evenings. The winds would blow 15-25 knots for a couple of days limiting diving.

As you move further South, the impact of the fronts decreases. You will want to dive in a wet suit. I am pretty resistant to cold and dove a 3mm shortie. My cold natured son was always complaining about the cold in a 5mm full suit.

The diving was spectacular.

I was there this April on the Caribbean Explorer and the water temps were in the 72-74 degree range. Five dives a day are going to stress you, so don't skimp on the exposure protection. I had a 5mm Pinnacle suit, with the Merino lining, and was OK once I ditched the 3mm hood for the 5mm one. Any cooler and I'd do it dry. Nice diving, with the best sites off San Salvador.

I did the Nekton Southern Bahamas Itinerary (Rum Cay, San Salvador) in late Jan 2003. As I recall it was windy, rainy, and cold for most of the week. Water temp was 76-77 for the most part.

Trip Report: Nekton Rorqual ---- Southern Bahamas

sb033.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback...we are considering moving it up to the third week in Novemeber to get slightly better chance of weather. This seems to be a pretty good time overall for late fall or early winter from what we've read on this board.

For exsposure gear, we were planning on bringing our waterproof 5mm or 7mm full suits for comfort.

My last trip there at that time of year (Early January) was 8 years ago and was to the New Providence area and was land based. At this time, there were large cold fronts moving through that made the air temp 64 degrees F with high winds which was blowing the water out of the pool onto the deck in waves. It did rain but not steadily.
The water temp was also 64 degrees F at the surface.
All that combined cancelled many am dives.
While fronts move through in these months, we think these were colder anomalies but it does happen.

I had only brought a 3 mm and a fleece skin to wear underneath and it still was not enough.

For reference, in calm, reasonably warm sunny weather, I can go to about 74-76 F water temp in surf shorts and still not be terribly cold. Water temps of 64 F gave a bit of a shock on entry then being cold during the SI and return trip with wind.

I might consider going back in Dec/Jan if I were to go further south (out islands) or choosing a different time of year mostly because my wife gets cold in a 3mm in 84 degree F water.

Having just been to Exuma in June, we were told that the fronts still do move through in Dec/Jan/Feb but got the impression they were less severe than northern Bahamas. Since the Atlantic is not far away a bigger storm would create heavier seas - north or south.

You can roll the dice and get fantastic weather (or not).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom