Thailand liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynn54

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm spending some time in Thailand in April and really want to do a liveaboard to the Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock. I'm a bit restricted on dates I can do and the majority of liveaboards (including those recommended by fellow divers) therefore aren't suitable for me. Based on my research I've come up with 3 potential options and was wondering whether anyone had any experience of any of them?

Option 1 - MV Discovery (Santana Divers). I've read some really bad reviews about this place, but the Course Director checks out on PADI and it's still a 5* IDC. According to one review the liveaboard sank last year and they were getting it repaired. I've also read numerous bad reviews about the standard of rental equipment (both liveaboard and shore diving).
I've also read some really good reviews saying ignore all the bad ones. As with all these things the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but just wondering if anyone has got any recent knowledge of Thailand and whether any of the rumours are true?

Option 2 - MV Le Mahe - other than what's on their own website I'm struggling to find any reviews of this one. At first glimpse it looks like a good option, but wondering if anyone has any real experience of it?

Option 3 - One of the liveaboards which moors round the Similans 5 days a week and daily transfers by speedboat. These look more basic than MV Le Mahe, which isn't a problem per se but all my previous experience of liveaboards has been fairly good standard ones in Egypt. I'm also wondering what the variety of diving is likely to be on these boats. Also they say they go to Richelieu Rock, but only 1 day per week so there's no guarantee that they will go on a day whilst I'm there.

Any advice or experiences that can be shared greatly received!

I have no experience with the MV Discovery, but I can tell you that I personally would avoid any liveaboard (or dive operation) that had those kind of mixed reviews. Maybe it's totally fine now, but to me a trip like that is too expensive to risk being disappointed. Better to spend a little bit more and increase your chance of a great trip.

One negative I've heard about those boats that stay at the dive sites and speedboat in passengers is that the frequent turnover in guests means that you don't get the same camaraderie that you often find on other boats. That may not be an issue for some, but i thought I'd point it out.

The only Similan boat I have personal experience with is the MV Nautica. Highly recommended, but I don't know what their availability is like on the dates of your trip. You might want to reach out to Quero (Marcia) or others on this board who book these trips for a living. I worked with Marcia for my trip last year and definitely recommend her.

James

Just a note to say that Nautica is no longer accepting bookings. The situation may change next season, but for the time being, a trip on this vessel isn't an option. Of course I'd be more than happy to explore other options for the OP. :angel2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom