Trip Report Philippine Siren Coron - Anilao Jan 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A quick summary. The boat and crew were excellent, the diving just so so. I would not do this itinerary again and would need to know that the diving on another itinerary in the Philippines was significantly better for me to return.

The boat was an excellent dive platform with only a few very minor quibbles. The accommodations were spacious and with lots of room to store and hang everything I needed to. A small desk with a computer and monitor were a bonus. Did not use either, but did use the desk to edit pictures on my laptop. The single beds were comfortable (some complained that they were too hard, I found them perfect). Shower was roomy with lots of hot water. Could have used a shelf in the bathroom for odds and ends, but there was nothing. I just kept everything in a bathroom bag - no big deal and in a rough crossing probably better anyway.

The dive deck is very spacious with a drawer for odds and ends beside each diver. Multiple rinse tanks with separate tanks for cameras, wet suits, and other odds and ends. Diving is done from two RIB's. you gear up on the main boat and walk to the RIB fully geared carrying fins and mask, put them on in the RIB on the way to the dive site and then back-roll off. Cameras are loaded on the RIB by the crew. My initial impression of this was not the best as walking on a moving boat and then down stairs to a platform and then a giant step to a RIB that is bouncing in the water was a bit daunting, but in the end it worked well. Crew are stationed everywhere to support you and assist in case of an unexpected movement. I managed to slip on one step from the platform to the RIB and the two crew who had a hold of me while making the step caught me and turned what could have been a nasty fall into a graceful collapse to the deck with no damage done.

The first minor quibble. The RIB's have two stroke engines, they smoke and breathing the exhaust while waiting for others to board was not pleasant. These engines need to be replaced with 4 stroke engines.

The second minor quibble is reboarding the RIB. The ladders on these boats are possibly the worst I have ever used. You could remove your gear and have the crew pull tanks up and reboard without tanks. However if you choose to reboard with gear on you needed the crew to physically pull you up the ladder and into the boat. It was all but impossible to climb the ladder without assistance. The angle of the ladder, the weight of diver and equipment meant that until you were partly into the boat you were hanging from the ladder falling back into the water. Just did not work well at all. With assistance it worked, but was a pain.

The third very minor quibble is the size of the camera table. It is a bit small for a boat of this size. Lots of storage space for cameras and associated gear, but the actual working surface area was small and we all had to be prepared to share. As camera sizes shrink this will become less of an issue.

The food was excellent, but I do see where a previous reviewer's complaints came from. The meals were all, but one night with an on deck BBQ, quite predictable. Rice, some kind of potato (fries, baked, boiled…), a cooked vegetable dish (beans, cauliflower, eggplant etc.), a seafood dish, two meat dishes (two of beef, pork and chicken) and a plate of mixed fresh fruit. The meat dishes were always chopped meat in some kind of sauce. If you like your meat plain you will be sorely disappointed. I had read reviews which complained about the lack of a dinner salad and had asked for a salad at dinner which was excellent, but served individually to me. Had serious salad envy from the other passengers by the end of the trip. Personally I think they could cut back on the meat and add a salad dish and most would be happier, but otherwise I thought the food was excellent even if predictable.

The diving was disappointing from two perspectives. The first was my own fault and a bit of research would have told me not to do this itinerary. I choose diving from liveaboards largely so that I can dive in places where I can't dive easily from resorts, not so much for the convenience factor. The vast majority of the dives done on this itinerary can be easily done without the expense of a liveaboard. Only the dives at Apo Reef could be considered remote and best done from a liveaboard. The Coron part of the itinerary and the Anilao portion of the itinerary were within easy travel from local dive resorts.

The second perspective is the actual dives. The Coron dives on the wrecks were very disappointing. The vis was awful - 15 to 20 feet sometimes less. I didn't even consider taking my wide angle lens on any of the wreck sites, nor did I take my 105 - just too much stuff in the water. It is hard to get any kind of perspective of a wreck if all you can see is 15 feet in any direction - and that through a haze of crap. Reminded me of diving here in the PNW at its worst. I imagine that these wrecks would be excellent as penetration dives, but as wrecks to explore and view from the outside they were not very interesting at all in that kind of vis. I have exactly no pictures of any of them. Just macro pictures of the life on the wrecks. No other photographer on the trip came back with any pictures of the wrecks either. The night dive with mandarin fish and the Barracuda Lake dive were highlights of this portion of the trip. Still haven't got a mandarin fish picture I like, but at least the opportunity was there.

The vis opened up to about 40 - 50 feet on Apo Reef and the dives we did there were better with lots of healthy hard coral, aquarium fish and some larger life. There were a few very shy sharks and a couple of turtles, but altogether a pretty average set of dives in average vis.

The highlight for me was the diving at Anilao. The vis was about the same here as Apo, about 50 feet or so. However by and large these are macro dives so the low vis is not as critical as it is for wrecks and coral reef diving and it was clear enough so that the 105 was useable. The macro life was varied and interesting and the night dives excellent. I would dive Anilao again, just not from a liveaboard as many of the dives we were doing were house reefs for hotels. Easy to get to from shore resorts.

It's good to hear feedback on the Anilao liveaboard trips, we see the Siren regularly in Anilao and never really understood why anyone would use a liveaboard over a land based option there - the land based option is much cheaper, has a greater choice of sites (you aren't tied to the captains choice) plus you'd have your own personal guides. The beauty of the Anilao macro sites is that you can dive the same site in the same place many times but it's always different.

It sounds like you had some bad luck in Coron, the viz there is never amazing but 15-20 is very bad. I was there earlier this week and most sites had 50ft plus viz and generally viz is much better inside the wrecks as you mention.

It sounds like you had some bad luck in Coron, the viz there is never amazing but 15-20 is very bad. I was there earlier this week and most sites had 50ft plus viz and generally viz is much better inside the wrecks as you mention.

I figured that we were seeing something that was not completely normal - otherwise I couldn't see a dive industry growing as large as it is on the island. 50 feet would have been a real treat, you could see structures and form with that kind of vis. With the vis we had the context of anything was lost. Quite a disappointment. Barracuda lake and diving in 38 degree water was some compensation, but not enough. :)

I did back to back trips with this itenerary and both agree and disagree. I found Apo to be a bit disappointing as we saw few of the famed big schools of pelagics the area was famous for. We did see plenty of other thigs, including plenty of nice banded sea kraits.

Coron was also poor vis for us, but the reef growth on the wrecks was wonderful. saw lots of great macro subjects. The reef life at the very touristed snorkeling areas were also very nice with plenty of photo subjects, including some really nice mandarin sites. I really enjoyed Coron, even with the limited vis.

As for the Siren, I found it to be very comfortable and great crew. I had no problems with the food at all. I sometimes wished we had fewer meats and more seafood, though. The only drawback, for me, was the photo table, as you mentioned. We had to take turns using it and a couple of photogs were not very cooperative with the rest of the photogs. They stored their stuff on it making it hard for others to use. I liked the camera drawers for the crossings!

Would I go on the Philippines Siren again? Absolutely! Would I do the same itenerary? No.

Interesting that you should comment so negatively about the RIBS/Ladders/Engines. I was on Indo Siren in June 2012 & had exactly the same feedback. Must be a Siren policy to scrimp on the RIBS - which is a false economy on a top end lob.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/428427-komodo-trip-report-dancer-v-siren.html

Was actually worse than I said. The engine in one of the RIB's was giving trouble the whole trip and we had to be towed to the dive site by the other RIB several times. Its a boat so I don't worry to much about such things, but breathing exhaust fumes for 5 minutes before each dive was seriously annoying and the ladders just pathetic. Both things that should be fixed.

I did back to back trips with this itenerary and both agree and disagree. I found Apo to be a bit disappointing as we saw few of the famed big schools of pelagics the area was famous for. We did see plenty of other thigs, including plenty of nice banded sea kraits.

Coron was also poor vis for us, but the reef growth on the wrecks was wonderful. saw lots of great macro subjects. The reef life at the very touristed snorkeling areas were also very nice with plenty of photo subjects, including some really nice mandarin sites. I really enjoyed Coron, even with the limited vis.

As for the Siren, I found it to be very comfortable and great crew. I had no problems with the food at all. I sometimes wished we had fewer meats and more seafood, though. The only drawback, for me, was the photo table, as you mentioned. We had to take turns using it and a couple of photogs were not very cooperative with the rest of the photogs. They stored their stuff on it making it hard for others to use. I liked the camera drawers for the crossings!

Would I go on the Philippines Siren again? Absolutely! Would I do the same itenerary? No.

Agree with you, would go on the Siren again absolutley- not the same itinerary.

The vis was so bad that even taking pictures of the macro life was frustrating. You would get a great shot of something and have visible bits of crap floating in the field of focus even with the 60mm. Here is a particularly bad picture that shows just how much stuff was in the water. I did manage to get lots of better pictures, but even the good ones had stuff suspended in the water in the field of focus - very frustrating.

temp-3.jpg

Thanks for the trip report. very interesting reading as i have been very tempted to do this route due to Apo reef.
I have dived Coron & Anilao land based before.

Did you do any penetration into the wrecks. I had 4 dive days in Coron and got some ok wide angle photos inside the wrecks. Somtimes the viss was better inside.
One of the wrecks had an excellent , open swim through. If you did not go inside , you missed some nice dives. That said most of the stuff inside has been salavaged/lifted from the wrecks
Anilao is great ,Coron is great so i was seriously tempted to do this intenary so i could visit Apo.
But i tend to agree, better go with land based option for Anilao/Coron.

Apo was nice, but not spectacular. Apo Island which I did from Dumagete was virtually identical. Lots of healthy hard coral on a wall with the associated small fish that you would expect to find in such an environment. Some of the divers briefly saw a school of Bumpheads in the blue, but we missed it. An average dive with lots of healthy hard coral, but nothing special. Would not do the liveaboard just for those dives. Add a couple of schools of fish or a passing ray or ??? and perhaps, but I think the chances of that are fairly remote. Not a bad dive at all - just not a site I would get excited about visiting again.

Did not do any penetration. Not comfortable in enclosed environments so had no plans to do any penetration dives. I don't believe anybody on the boat did which surprised me a bit. I would expect that the vis would be better inside and wide angle shots would be at least possible. On the outside not even possible - all you would see would be a hazy forground with a suggestion of a shape in the background. Very similar to diving here in the PNW in spring when it closes in so I was very comfortable, just disappointed.

When I arrived I thought that Coron would be a great place to dive, and given even a bit more vis I could see the attraction. Barracuda Lake was a kick, the couple of sites we did as reef dives were nice even if the vis was low, the mandarin fish dive was fun and with a bit more vis the wrecks would have been very cool. Lots of life on the wrecks and then the wrecks themselves. All in all a great destination. But bring the vis down to that level and this portion of this particular trip was just very disappointing. If the vis is like that all the time or there is significant risk that the vis would be like that I think I would pass and dive somewhere else. And, I wouldn't do a liveaboard unless $ was not a concern at all. All but 4 of the dives were within a very easy boat ride from Coron, the other 4 were just a longer boat ride away in very protected waters. The dives in Anilao were even closer to the resorts. A bit like diving Lembeh from a liveaboard - you can do it but why would you? Diving from shore based resorts is so easy and so much cheaper. Some would, but not me.

Hi Darnold9999

We are pleased to read that for the most part you enjoyed your trip aboard the Philippine Siren and that our crew looked after you well. Thanks for posting your comments on the diving and yacht quality - feedback is always important to us to ensure we are able to make improvements and meet our guests' needs and expectations.

Firstly, whilst we agree that many sites during this itinerary can be visited from a shore based resort, we offer this itinerary to allow divers to visit Anilao, Apo and Coron in 1 trip. Travel between those areas, without the liveaboard to take you, can be very difficult involving return to Manila from Batangas and taking a flight. Hence the reason for the 3 dive areas in 1 10-night trip.

Secondly we have received information from our operations team regarding the engines aboard the rhibs which accompany the Siren yachts
" we would love to have 4 stroke engines on board like we have in Palau or will have in Fiji, but because the fuel quality in the Philippines, Indonesia and the Maldives is not that good, it is likely the engines would break. However, we always looking for solutions and as soon we feel the fuel quality is better or we find a good alternative we will upgrade to 4 stroke engines."

As for the ladders, we actively encourage our guests to pass their equipment to the driver rather than struggling up the ladder with heavy gear.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you aboard once again. Thanks for travelling with us and for all your feedback.
Best wishes from the Siren Fleet team

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom