Question about dives on Blackbeards Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at booking flights.

My understanding is that on Blackbeards, the boat arrives back in port on Thursday with most people flying out on Friday. Does anyone know when the last dives are on Thursday. Do they do one or two dives before heading back to port on Thursday.

Looking at booking flights and for the most part like to stick to the 24 hour rule and so it would be hlepful to know when I will be out of the water on Thursday so that I can fly on Friday.

Also as an aside - when does diving start? Most liveaboards I have been on don't start diving until the following morning but I thought I had seen mention of diving starting in port on the first cruise day (Saturday)

Thanks

When are you going?

Im going November 2015 so you will have to wait for an answer from my trip.

I just sent you a message/response via PM, but I figure I'll post this since it may answer others' questions...

We did not dive on the departure day, but that was because we left late (thanks to some late arrivals). The captain said they usually do a easy check dive on the first day, as long as they depart early enough. That probably happens more often during the longer summer days. We were probably out of the water around 2:00pm on the last dive day (Thursday).

I ended up getting down there on Wednesday and stayed in Nassau until Saturday. There are some cheap (but decent) hotels costing less than $100. I stayed in El Greco that was across the street from the Jackanoo Beach (next to a police station and a block from the US Embassy).

Southwest now flys to Nassau and a non-stop from BWI on Wednesdays cost as little as $300 - round trip. Even better - Southwest honors their 2 (50 pound) bags fly free policy.

Bring backups if you go. My dive light flooded on the first night dive, no problems with my backup. I also had my wired computer along with the wireless. That saved the trip for another diver whose wireless broke on the first day.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions that may come up.

I will definitely do Blackbeards again. With their cheap price and plane tickets; the entire trip could cost as little as $1,500 (that includes a 20% tip).

When I did a Blackbeard's liveaboard (my kind of diving... had a great group of fun people on board), I stayed a few extra days after the trip so it didn't matter how many dives I did on Thursday. I always try to give myself at least one full day topside after a period of intensive diving.

When I dive with Blackbeard's I get a departure flight for the Friday afternoon. I have been with people that fly out late on the Thursday and they just do not do the dives after the Wednesday afternoon. Just because they offer you a dive does not mean you need to dive. It is your vacation enjoy it.

I am looking at booking flights.

Craig, when are you going ?? (sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread)

Still firming up dates but likely the end of June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom