Nautilus Socorro April 6-14 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divetheoceans

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there
I booked a liveaboard trip to the Socooro Islands on the Nautilus, from 6 to 14 April 2015.
Is there anybody else from Scubaboard forum going on this trip?
I'm so excited and can't wait to jump into the water in the pacific ocean :wink:

I will be there the week before you : )

Great time of year to visit with the humpbacks all around. I was lucky on a previous trip to snorkel with a mom and calf twice. Even if you don't get lucky to seem the humpbacks in the water it is fun to watch them in your surface intervals and listen to them while you play with Mantas and check out the hammerheads.

Not sure if you red last weeks trip reports, but the divers had an epic experience with some Orcas / humpbacks

Lucky you! :D

I've read the report. Amazing! Must be a real adventure to witness hunting Orcas during a dive.
I'm really looking forward to this trip, only 2 more months waiting time...

What wetsuit would you recommend? I plan to pack a 5mm with a sharkskin vest under it and maybe an additional 2.5mm shorty, hope this will be enough.

We went in March of last year -- water temperature was about 75, if I remember right. Bring a hood; it helps. You will LOVE the trip -- the boat crew is absolutely fabulous and the food is amazing, and of course, the diving is awesome. We were lucky enough to get conditions that allowed us to dive the Boiler twice, and spending an hour in the water with 8 or 10 giant mantas will stay on my top ten dive list forever, I'm pretty sure.

Water temp can really vary that time of year ... even on the same dive. I will be bringing a 5 mm full suit with a 3/5 mm hooded vest. I also will have a 3 mm shorty to put under just incase it gets real cold. However, it sounds like it might be an el Nino year ... so water temps may be higher than usual.

Sure would be fun to see the Orcas but understand that you will need to be very lucky. You will definitely see manta rays that are just as interested in you as you are with them. Also hammerhead, Galapagos, white tip reef shards. You will definitely hear humpbacks underwater and see them on top but will need some luck to see them underwater. You most likely will see dolphin underwater too.

And don't discount the small stuff. There are beautiful reef fish, big peacock flounders, green morays, and amazing octopuses.

Thank you for your answers, I appreciate.
So, I will definetely bring my wide angle & my macro lens.
Only 8 weeks to go ....
:D

I was in socorro last May, link to trip report below if you are interested.

Temps ranged from 23-26 C.

I used 5 ml with a 1 ml undershirt. Plus hood. Was very comfortable on the dives. As stated above, the hood makes a real difference.

Its its likely to be a little cooler in April but not sure if you'll need the over suit.

Shame they don't allow gloves in socorro as that would add a little more warmth. Enjoy your trip.

John

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ns-buddies-hurricane-socorro-trip-report.html

Thank you! I have already read your report. Sounds great!
I'm sure the water temperatures are going to be 20°C warmer than during today's dive in the lake :cool2:.

I will be there the week before you : )

Great time of year to visit with the humpbacks all around. I was lucky on a previous trip to snorkel with a mom and calf twice. Even if you don't get lucky to seem the humpbacks in the water it is fun to watch them in your surface intervals and listen to them while you play with Mantas and check out the hammerheads.

Not sure if you red last weeks trip reports, but the divers had an epic experience with some Orcas / humpbacks

Hey cool, I'll be on that trip too. My buddy and I will be on rebreathers, look forward to diving with you!

Back
Top Bottom