Sea Sick on a live-aboard?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

razor

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to go on a live aboard but I am worried about getting sea sick. Bonine works great on a cruise ship and dive boat but I am worried about 7 days on a small boat.

Any suggestion on what live aboard/time frame to pick so I can avoid getting sea sick would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

razor:
I would love to go on a live aboard but I am worried about getting sea sick. Bonine works great on a cruise ship and dive boat but I am worried about 7 days on a small boat.

Any suggestion on what live aboard/time frame to pick so I can avoid getting sea sick would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

I would suggest one of the liveaboards that uses a multi-hull boat. Examples of that would be Nekton cruises , Aquacat cruises , and the Cuan Law . Mono-hull boats tend to have more motion than a catamaran or a trimaran like the Cuan Law.

I use the patch. It is a prescription, but worth it. I get bad sea-sickness with out the patch. Yes, even with the pills. ALL OF THEM!!! With the patch, I don't even feel like I have ever been sick in my life. They say the patch is good for three days, but I found it to be good for only two days. Maybe because it gets wet.

Good luck

Hey! How'd that double post happen? Many apologies. Please don't hit me.

As the desginated puker of the forum, :wavey: I recommend the Scop patch highly. If I can do it, so can you. I did a Blackbeard's cruise last November, and lived! :D
I did get sick on the crossing which was very rough in a little sailboat, but the patch worked like a charm when we were in calmer waters.
Also, like Diveborg suggests, Nekton cruises are very good for people like us, so you may want to look into them.

diveborg:
I would suggest one of the liveaboards that uses a multi-hull boat. Examples of that would be Nekton cruises , Aquacat cruises , and the Cuan Law . Mono-hull boats tend to have more motion than a catamaran or a trimaran like the Cuan Law.
Also look for a sheltered area. For example, the BVI (Cuan Law) is rather sheltered with most sites within the ring of islands.

Trips that cross the Gulf Stream (I believe Blackbeards does) or have long ocean crossings such as Socorro, Cocos, or the Northern Galapgos routes tend to have many seasick divers.

Ralph

I'll have to throw my agreement about using the patch! I get sick on airplanes as well as boats and have never been sick since using the patch. We're considering a liveaboard too, and have specifically looked at Nekton due to the design of the boat. I'll still wear my patch though!

Scopace is what you need. This is the same as the patch (scopolamine), but in a pill form. And the patch is 1.5 mg, where scopace is 0.4 mg, so the dose is smaller. As such, it's only good for 8hrs instead of 3 days, but the side effects (drying of the mouth and drowsiness) are less frequent.

Scopace is also a prescription, but as a pill, you can set your own dosage. No patch getting wet. No worry about getting the chemical from the patch in your eyes. If you start feeling sick, take another pill. Onset of action is 1hr, versus 4 hrs for the patch. Costs only about 35 cents per pill, where patch is $5.25.

Used it on a 30 ft boat diving out of Freeport, TX, on the VA FOG, which is 35 miles offshore. We had 2-3 foot seas, and never felt anything. Believe me, Scopace is what you need.

More information at www.scopace.com.

I can highly reccommend the ReliefBand. I used this in Hawaii, and it even helped on the Road to Hana. The great thing about it is that I took non-drowsey dramimine the night before, and just a 1/2 tab in the AM the first day of diving, just at night for the second day. The band did the rest of the work. I liked not being drugged, and took the band off just before getting in the water and put it back on after taking my gear off.

The electric stimulation is a bit irritating at first, but tons better than the alternative!

My motto is, if you can do it without drugs, why not?

Good luck on your solution.
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom